Schools are starting soon, should I get a friend to my cockatiel?

Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
I have a little cockatiel named Walnut! (Finally an official name :D) she is very cute, we are learning together
Hello everyone! We got Walnut about 3 months ago when she was 2 months old. She is reaching the age of puberty I believe and schools are starting soon. She is very used to being out of the cage, so I am worried that she will be lonely. I want to get her a friend. But there are several big issues.
She was in a small cage for a month or so, I convinced my father to buy her a bigger cage with much effort. He complained about the price and insisted that the small cage was enough. I honestly think that the cage we have now isn't even that big, but he thinks it's enough for two. We had this issue with my betta fish as well. I guess I should've known from that moment that my father was never actually a well informed person.
He also says that we should get a male for my Walnut. I told him that we could not take care of the eggs if they mate, and he says we could give them away. But like, no. I'm not going to give eggs to random people that I don't know whether they are going to take good care of the birds or not.
I said okay, we can get a male, but they need to be in different cages. I expressed my concerns about the birds losing their bonds to us. And he says that that's a good thing? What the hell?
He refuses to get another big cage. And I will never stuff two birds in a not-so-big cage where they could mate and injure eachother. So I decided that we are not going to get another bird.
Still very worried about my little Walnut. Any advice? :(

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
I have a little cockatiel named Walnut! (Finally an official name :D) she is very cute, we are learning together
They don't give me monthly money by the way. If they did, I would surely buy one myself. :(

MelloYello

Jan 11, 2021
A galaxy far far away
Parrots
MelloYello-Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Im so sorry for your situation. I understand your feelings of frustration. I'm no expert but heres my advice:
You were right with not wanting a male friend for Walnut. its not as simple as just giving the eggs away. Many complications can come along with laying eggs. The surge of hormones from mating will also crack the bond you two have. If you don't believe you have enough space for two, stick with your first instinct and do not adopt another little guy

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I can tell how much you love Walnut ! Great job in upgrading her cage!

I had only one green cheek conure while I worked. We did great. I got up earlier to spend a half hour before work with her. Then I had her out from the time I got home till it was bedtime. Some of that was with me on my shoulder while I did chores ir watched TV. Some was on top of her cage witch I had attached lots of perches and toys, the rest was on her play gym I could move around.
I put baby cartoons on for her on low, as older kids cartoons can be too violent. And her cage was next to a fish tank, she seemed to like watching them. Or you could leave a radio on low, for her.

I'd say it great to wait till you finish school, and can do things your way. Before getting another bird.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I fully agree with my good friends above. Getting another Parrot is just not a good idea as there is not way to know if they will get along. Just because they are opposed sex also does not assure they will automatically get along either. If they do get along, you are just as likely be the odd one out.

It is much better that you assure that your Parrot has a wealth of toys to keep her busy during the day.

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
Thank you all so much!

MelloYello

Jan 11, 2021
A galaxy far far away
Parrots
MelloYello-Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I agree, it sounds like you are very responsible and love Walnut very much! The fact that you're brave enough to ask questions shows how much you care.

Also, make sure Walnut has plenty of safe toys to keep them busy. And spend lots of bonding time when you get home from school to make up for time stuck in the cage.
But don't worry, it sounds like you're doing great!

Have a lovely day!!:D

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
The rule of thumb, is "never get a bird for your bird" as the potential "friend" could turn out to be a serious enemy or just complicate your life and your bird's life even more. I understand how you feel--- but another bird is a gamble and if one is tough, imagine 2 that have to be im separate cages because they fight (or mate) all the time...

Do you use key phrases with your bird when you leave etc? I used to show my ID to Noodles daily and say "going to work" so that she learned to anticipate the pattern. I also left/leave music on for her daily (not crazy stuff-- stuff she likes-- but also, not party music...think, something to make things less quiet, but not anything too stressful or too exhilarating).

If you get new toys and your bird is hesitant, don't just shove them in there either, or that can seem like being locked in your house with an unwanted intruder/monster (at least, from their perspective).

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
Thank you all so much again, I will make sure that she has new toys and stuff to entertain herself with. Knowing that other parrots do just fine makes me relieved. Have a good night/day! :)

Saash

Jan 13, 2021
Durban, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus
Cockatiels are really sweet little birds. I had one as a child, alone, in a smallish cage. She lived in the busiest part of the house so she was entertained all day either by what other animals were doing in the back yard, or the daily coming and going of our cleaner.

In any event, a hormonal girl bird has loads of health complications that stem from egg laying. If they don't have space for loads of excercise, egg binding becomes a hugh risk, and it sounds to me your dad won't approve of all the vet fees, if he is already complaining about a cage size. The actual laying of eggs is less of an issue, as they can be boiled so they do not hatch.

He possibly didn't think of getting a bird as 'part of the family' but rather as 'just a pet'.

I got my son a parrot for his birthday, and yes, there turned out to be SO much more to consider than him having a companion to play with in his room after school.

I have literally adopted a new bird-child, that needs to eat breakfast and dinner every day like the other kids, and needs its own huge bedroom, with toys. šŸ„²

Our Pickles is as much MINE as she is his :red1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts