Screaming Eclectus Problem

ElmotheEckie

Apr 7, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot Female
Hi there
I have a tricky Eclectus problem, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping to get some sage advice on a frustrating problem with my female Eckie 'Elmo'.
To begin, Elmo is around 4months old and I have had her since almost 2months now.
Elmo started screaming constantly after the first 48hrs of bringing her home.
She will scream while eating her food, scream whilst sitting on her perch, scream flying and scream whilst being anywhere in human company. She only stops when I relectantly put her back in her cage.
I understand that the urgent, loud screaming is a way of communication and I have done my detective work in an attempt to nut it out to no avail.
I have tried offering different foods, toys - (which she hackles, charges and attacks) provide attention/interaction, talk to her calmly, ensure 14hrs of sleep, take her outside for walks, everything I can to appease the screaming but nothing is working!
Her screaming is not met with yelling back or aggressive responses, I simply pick her up and take her back to her cage for quiet time, then bring her inside again after 30mins - but the screaming restarts immediately. I was hoping that this response may train her that the reaction to the screaming only results in some alone time.

She isn't sick as I have since taken her to the vet for a check up - nor are her wings clipped so she can fly freely.
Unfortunately this screaming is now a problem for my housemate who works from home, my neighbours and now it's me or the parrot.
She has also singled out my housemate since day two as a target, flying into his face in a rage and tearing a chunk out of his nose! She has never been aggressive to me in any way.
At this point my housemate has given me 2 weeks to subdue the screaming behaviour and I refuse to give up on her.
Please is there anyone out there that may be able to provide any suggestions to hopefully overcome this problem? Any help would be deeply appreciated 🙏 Thank you

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. This is a very young ekkie. What are you currently feeding her? Have you changed her diet at all? How much sleep is she getting? How much time is being spent out of the cage?

Most Reactions