Second Egg in Four Years

koko30

Apr 11, 2019
Yesterday, April 4 at 330pm my 32-year-old yellow nape Amazon just laid her second egg in the last four years. No male parrot around. The first time she laid her egg on the bottom of the cage on the grill, then she didn't want anything to do with it. So, I discarded it. This time, she laid her egg on the top of the cage on the playpen. She has occasionally been touching the egg and sitting beside it ever since and not on it.

What should I do?

Thanks, Scott

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
I've learned on here that you should keep the egg there with the bird until the instinct of wanting to be around it is gone, and plus it prevents her from laying another one unless you take the egg away too soon.
Not too skilled on this topic.

OP
K

koko30

Apr 11, 2019
Good Morning. Thank you for your quick response. An update. Today is day three and she's still sitting by her egg. It's sweet but still sad that she won't have a little one to raise. She ignored the first egg she laid. Her appetite is minimal.

Thanks again,
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_064611266.jpg
    IMG_20220407_064611266.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 74

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Over-night, consider Freezing the egg.

The time line will vary between Hens and even the same Hen. But once no longer interested, trash it.

It can and clearly does happen, to Hens, whether there is a Rooster or not. There is some support that minor changes in diet can effect a Hen causing the development, but it is not assured.

Clearly, occasional egg laying is of concern. But not actionable. Multi-eggs in a single year supports a visit to your Avian Vet.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I’d say since there’s a second one, to keep an eye on her and contact your vet ASAP. You may need to change up what she’s eating to discourage this behavior, or add extra nutrients to support her body since she’s been gravid. Best of luck! She’s adorable.

OP
K

koko30

Apr 11, 2019
I'm curious... If I pick up and move her eggs. Will she ignore the eggs?

Most Reactions