Seed addict

oregngrl1

Nov 15, 2012
I have an african grey that will only eat seed. I have been trying to convert him to pellets and fruits/veggies for months. I have tried every trick in the book. He is one of the birds you read about who will starve himself to death. i love this guy but I am soooooo frustrated that he is getting inadequate nutrition. I cannot just leave other foods in his cage all the time hoping he will get hungry enough to eat them, he just does not eat.

I will keep trying everything but for now I am mixing seed with sticky foods so he has to pick out the seed and sprinkling a vitamin powder three time a week on his seed cup. He wont eat birdie bread or anything except seeds, no pellets with apple juice, believe me I have tried it all.

has anyone else had to deal with a bird this stubborn? I am ready to hook up an IV to him. I watch his weight and if I cut back on the seed his weight will plummet alarmingly. He is healthy, not sick, just stubborn, He is 8 mos old and I got him at 12 weeks and had to finish off the hand feeding because the breeder had emergency surgery, He was very hard to wean. He was hand raised and not around other birds. I have an eclectus who eats anything and everything but I cant put them together so my Ekkie can set an example. Wish I could.

Last edited:
You are not alone, I'm still struggling 18 months later. I have successes & he'll eat something well for a day or 2. Then its yucky :-( This week I bought Bountiful Harvest from My Safe Bird Store. :) He's really liking the dried peas, anise crackers & dried carrots. Its a great mix w/alot of different veggies/fruits/nuts. Maybe thats something you could try. I have replaced the seed in Merlins diet 90% by feeding cooked pasta w/red palm oil. Still not good, but its a change. Sometimes its the consistancy that he doesn't like. Good luck, check out my thread http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/9968-merlin-i-fighting.html I havent kept it up, but maybe it will help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back