Seed moths driving us bonkers

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
They can get through ziplock seals too on those plastic bags. I saw some trying to get through those. They're sneaky little bugs.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
I had the same bug problem with my koi, guinea pig, and bird food. I bought a couple of cheap 25-gal tupperware containers from Walmart for the food and put them outside in the garden. No more bugs in the house. The extreme outdoor temperature, hot during the day, cold during the night, seems to keep them from reproducing.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I have my bird seed outdoors too, in a camp pantry on the patio, but if I go shopping, I still usually bring the bags inside and empty the packet into the plastic container in the kitchen or the packet will sit on the bench until I get around to it. I should get into the habit of doing it outside..... Also, I do have some seed indoors because the weiros are inside at the moment. It's hard to isolate food sources when you've got open containers of their favourite food just sitting there.

They are a right menace, there's no argument about that.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Oh the squrrels, deer and raccoons would LOVE for me to store my seed outside lol

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Could they get at it if it's in Tupperware and zipped up in a camp pantry? Would they just rip it up and get it out?

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Could they get at it if it's in Tupperware and zipped up in a camp pantry? Would they just rip it up and get it out?

I think so. I even saw them sneaking through those sealed cereal plastic packages on the inside of cereal boxes. It's amazing. I think an air proof container is probably a good option, the kind with the hinged lid. You can get them for real cheap at places like IKEA.

korken-jar-with-lid__0131001_PE285442_S4.JPG

I don't think much can get in there, and they can't chew through glass.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I think so.
I was asking about the squirrels, racoons and deer, whether they would demolish a camp pantry to get Gary's supplies if he put them outdoors.

Yes, those glass jars would be quite good at keeping them OUT. The problem with a lot of dry goods is that they really don't like being in completely airtight containers. And then you get the situation where the bugs are already in the food when you bought it. They don't go IN at your place, they come OUT at your place. :D (I think I should unsubscribe from this thread, it's making me stressed :D)

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Rather than buy glass containers like the Ikea one above, we use Moccona jars for some things (that's the Dutch coffee brand). I have dozens of them, as a frequent coffee drinker, the main issue for bird stuff is that we don't have many of the really big jars, as we most frequently buy the 200g size. These jars have a really good seal, which'll keep nasties out.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
The only "downside" with jars is that you can fit more square/rectangular than round containers in your cupboard.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Rather than buy glass containers like the Ikea one above, we use Moccona jars for some things (that's the Dutch coffee brand). I have dozens of them, as a frequent coffee drinker, the main issue for bird stuff is that we don't have many of the really big jars, as we most frequently buy the 200g size. These jars have a really good seal, which'll keep nasties out.

Does that coffee come in beans or just pre ground? I like grinding my coffee myself.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.

Does that coffee come in beans or just pre ground? I like grinding my coffee myself.

Nah, it's freeze-dried instant. Good quality though, huge variety of "flavours" and roast strengths. Douwe Egberts is the company, it's been imported for ages into Australia. We're late to the brewed coffee scene, and as the only coffee drinker at home (well, my wife has one a day, me, more than a dozen) I can't be bothered with the mucking around with a machine to make one cuppa.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Ozone generators are a health hazard if you're in the room when they're running, but when properly used, they only kill the infestation. The whole point of doing an ozone shock treatment is to oxidize (kill) the infestation.

Airing out the room for an hour or so after use will make it safe for habitation again.

The half-life of ozone in air is less than 30 minutes based on temperature and humidity. It reverts back to it's stable form aka Oxygen. Ozone is very effective in killing bugs and sterilization due to the fact that it can go everywhere an oxygen molecule can go.

I can tell you that I have walked into my room after a shock treatment and my lungs were burning after about 2 shallow breaths. Simply just opening the windows in the room and letting it air out (with the ceiling fan on) for 1 hour and it's completely safe for habitation again (assuming the window is of sufficient size).

That's why I was very specific about removing the birds / humans / living things from the place for 24 hours.

Is an ozone shock treatment an extreme measure? Absolutely. Will it guarantee that it will pretty much get everything in the place that air goes? Absolutely. It basically "resets" you back to the "pre-moth" era.

As an aside, once the ozone has broken down back to oxygen, there are no chemical residues to worry about and no cleaning that needs to be done to ensure bird / human poisoning.

If you do use ozone, it needs to be done responsibly. Something very few people seem to do even if the instructions are very simple..

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
the prior post wasn't meant to sound combative.. I just re-read it and it definitely came off that way. I'm just pointing out that ozone treatment (shock treatment) is dangerous to all living things during the treatment cycle. After the treatment (and ventilation of the treated area for a sufficient amount of time), the initial source of contamination is gone if it is biological in nature.

That's why I used it. After 2 days of seeing those moths all over the house, I just nipped it in the bud quickly. Did I ever see a moth again after that incident? Only dead ones in my vacuum cleaner bin.

Anyway.. it was meant to be informative :)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
If I get any grubs, the plumhead is very partial to them, too:D

We found the biggest part of the infestation, but now Hahnzel and I play larvae hunter. We keep the population cut way back and he gets to eat all the larvae he can reach!

Most Reactions

Latest posts