Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
My house is open-floorplan, with a 24'-high vaulted ceiling, and several skylights. I have a 5'-wide sliding door I can use to bring it inside. I would like to add a living, (large-) potted tree, that is parrot-safe. I have reviewed parrot-safe "wood" lists, but trying to cross-reference that long list to something that could work as an indoor tree is daunting. I would like to buy the tree at a size that my Timneh could land on the branches from the start. Any help on tree species would be much appreciated.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™ve considered corkscrew willows, but my apartment doesnā€™t have enough room. You can buy them in big rooted ā€œsticksā€ that you pot. But they are probably not ready to be perched on as such.

A small tree of a size to be perched on would be pricey, but possible. How about a small oak, maple, Japanese maple, willow, aspen? You might need supplemental light. Or you could try a mini citrus treeā€¦do you think your bird would strip and kill it? In that case you might just find a big dead branch, clean it up, and pot itā€¦thatā€™s probably what I would do. In fact I have potted big branches in big terra cotta pots using plaster of Paris to hold the branch upright.

Hibiscus are beautiful and safe, but often infested with aphids. And your bird would certainly eat the sweet flowers and maybe the leaves.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
So, I bought some dragonwood a while back. I have plenty of suitable branches for my parrots.
1663449366502.png

This is my Florida room. The framing was designed for two aviaries, one for each of my first two parrots, but it became attachment points for branches.
1663449467748.png

However, I want them to experience an actual tree, with close branches for the challenge of navigating landings, climbing, etc. If the tree produced edibles, that would be a fantastic bonus.

I have space for good-sized tree. Find the 'Teil (He is about 23' off the main floor.) :]
1663449601943.png

My house has an indoor balcony of sorts. (That railing was slippery, so I added grip.)
1663449761743.png

This list I found makes me wary of Maple.

I am willing to risk the parrots eventually killing the tree.

My local nursery just recommended an Umbrella Plant as something available here.

I looked into the Umbrella Plant to check if its safe for parrots and found it is safe for them to perch on. Some can get up to 8-10' indoors. That may be your best bet.

I will have to research if it is also safe for chewing. I like the idea of citrus trees. They will become available locally over the winter.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would be comfortable having a young maple in an atrium. Yes, I read your article, but I donā€™t agree with it. Any tree species could have fungus in the bark.

If I bought a young tree I would perhaps leave it potted outside for a while to wash off any pesticides or herbicides that had been sprayed on it. Or I would get something that I knew had not been sprayed.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
So.... My parrot wants to know if you have any vacancies. He's too busy ogling and being smitten with your tiel to let me reference my tree list at the moment

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
So.... My parrot wants to know if you have any vacancies. He's too busy ogling and being smitten with your tiel to let me reference my tree list at the moment
@Cottonoid That 'Teil, Ozzy, he was only here a few weeks. I was asked to board him. He was an instant hit here--just such a charming parrot. Everybody liked Ozzy--even my female Senegal who wants to kill all other parrots. Ozzy perched on her "home" roosting "perch" (formerly my pullup bar), and not only did Georgia not kill him; she did not chase him off either--she just sat there, chilling with him on her chosen place of all places.

In exploring the new place, Ozzy lands on Georgia's most prized place. For months she would dive-bomb me if I carried another parrot under that area. (He is about 11' above the floor.)

1663518146870.png

(Oh, you can see my foyer bird-netting, so a bird cannot fly out the front door when I come and go.)

What happens next? Georgia, who typically tries to land on a parrot to displace them, lands beside him and respectfully gives him his space on her home roost.
1663518213980.png

(I don't trim nails, so all of my parrots love to climb jeans--on them and in them.)

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
They are safeā€”people drink hibiscus tea all the time!
@HeatherG, the nursery is holding four Hibiscus "trees" for me. They do treat them with an "organic" oil, which they are confirming is safe for birds.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
If needed you could gently spray them with mild soap to remove the oil (might be partly neem oil or tea tree).
@HeatherG, that is a great idea. I use plain castile soap, which I could mix with water in a sprayer. I do wonder how much of the oil the plant absorbed, though.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
They are safeā€”people drink hibiscus tea all the time!
@HeatherG, I get what you meant: that even though it is a flower/plant, it is safe, even for people. I think we have to be careful with that logic, though, because people drink coffee, beer, and wine all the time, too--and those are considered unsafe for parrots.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a carrier oil plus neem oil, a common insect killer. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s dangerous for birds but I know directly on skin neem oil is harsh.

Most Reactions

Latest posts