Senegal vs GCC

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
I am down to these 2 birds right now. Please help me pick the one thats best for me. I want a cuddly bird who is willing to spend time with me and interact. I dont want to have to force him to spend time with me (like i normally do with my budgie). I dont want a bird as independent as a budgie (in general). I want him to want to be around me and just chill out or be cuddled with. And i live in an apt btw so these 2 birds fit the bill.

PS: Please don't reply with stuff like "all birds are unique and have different personalities and all that". I already know all this. I just want to increase my chances of having the qualities i am looking for. You wouldn't recommend me a cockatoo for an apt bird just because yours happens to be super quiet would you? Likewise i am just trying to increase my chances and i am well aware that every bird is different. I just honestly dont want a bird like all the budgies that i had/have. I love budgies but i want something different who i can have a better connection with. My budgies are all tame but i don't seem to connect to them as much as i would like. They are always kinda doing there own thing and would rather be with themselves or their friends rather then ever come out and be touched. Even though i can scratch their head once in awhile for a few secs. So i want a bird size of Senegal or maybe a bit smaller (gcc). So please help me figure out which of these birds are the best fitting for me?

ps: there is no bird rescue near me
psps: i do go to pet stores to see myself but as we all know, babies are deceiving so i would like to know how life will be with the mature versions and which will be best fit for me.

i have been doing research for about 5-6 months intensively and i am finally down to these 2. However if you guys think another bird fits the bill then let me know.

I just wish a GCC was a bit bigger sized and more closer to the size of a senegal.

Last edited:

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
So you want a bird that is willing to spend time with you a sennie or a gcc would be the best option most people would say sennie's don't like hanging around with there owners to much which is far from the truth as our sennie loves to be on your shoulder and lap all day long I think its a case of how much time you spend with the bird that determine's how much he or she wants to hang around with you also I noticed that you would like to give head scratches to the bird again I'd go for a sennie as ours will stay for hours on end getting head scratches really we can only give you our opinion and and tell you what our birds are like but at the end of the day its you who is going to have to pick which bird you would like but which ever one you do go for I'm sure it will be the right choice for you :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I really don't understand, why you want people to tell you what bird to get? Why not just pick the bird you like, and train it the way you want it - as in watching TV - of course taking into consideration that the bird has to live in an apartment... :eek:

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I really don't understand, why you want people to tell you what bird to get? Why not just pick the bird you like, and train it the way you want it - as in watching TV - of course taking into consideration that the bird has to live in an apartment... :eek:

I don't think you can actually "train" a bird entirely to your liking. Of course, each bird is an individual and there are no gaurantees - but temperment, attachment style habits, noise level, etc. can be somewhat similar amongst a species. It doesn't hurt to ask around.

As far as green cheeks, they are definitely cuddly and stick to you like glue. However, they also have mood swings, and you have to be willing to respect their space when they'd rather be alone. They can be quite nippy otherwise.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I don't think you can actually "train" a bird entirely to your liking. Of course, each bird is an individual and there are no gaurantees - but temperment, attachment style habits, noise level, etc. can be somewhat similar amongst a species. It doesn't hurt to ask around.

As far as green cheeks, they are definitely cuddly and stick to you like glue. However, they also have mood swings, and you have to be willing to respect their space when they'd rather be alone. They can be quite nippy otherwise.

I agree with you, and I guess I'm just frustrated, that the OP wants a 'perfect' parrot to suit HIS needs... :eek:

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
I can say for sure that there is no such parrot alive if you want the perfect parrot one that's willing to spend time with you all day long one that won't make a mess and one that won't scream on I surgest getting this one
61470-280x280-Fur_real_parrot.jpg

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Have you considered cockatiels? They are very sweet and loving. I have interacted with GCC's, and they are outgoing and sweet. Although, they are also loud and tend to be messy with thier food. I have heard that senegals are quiet, so that might be better in an apartment situation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts