Senegals: what are the pros and cons?

Nessa

Jul 20, 2016
Ireland
Parrots
None, at the moment, but in the past we had a peach faced lovebird called Baby, and we currently have 4 chickens
So my mum has been talking whistfully about how she's always liked senegals, and since she actually has the time for a parrot now, I have a feeling she's going to get one. I'll be moving out at some stage in the next year and a half, so I don't really get much of a say, obviously, but as I will be living here for the next while, I would like to get some idea of what we can expect. I have heard tales of 'bird puberty' in senegals, which worries me a bit.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
A buddy's G/F had a senigal. He talked pretty good, calling her name and a few other things. Serious one person bird though, he would attack and bite , hard, at anyone but her. I guess a good choice for someone who lives alone. Remember, every bird is different, even within a species.

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
I have no personal experience so take this for what its worth.. I have heard mainly good things besides the one person thing. For whatever reason it seems they have a very high tendency to be one person birds, so socialization is extremely important. Other than that, they seem very trainable and loyal sweet birds. Pretty much every bird species goes through a puberty stage, and Im not sure about Sennies specificly but it depends on the bird as well, you just need to be extra vigilent about training and such during this period. If she wants one, I would tell her to go ahead. Im more drawn to new world parrots but if it ever came up for me to have one I for sure wouldnt say no.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Ours likes all 3 of us equally. She says a few words and can be super cute. She's also a very quiet bird. I will say though I'd rather be bit by my macaw than my sennie. Sennies can bite with zero warning and it hurts like heck. Even with that said I'd still highly recommend them.

I also don't see why you can't have more birds. We have the sennie, a grey and a mac with no problem on the sennies part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I just got my Senegal about 3 weeks ago, so I'm going through the introductory phase myself. He's a male and was born in September, and I got him right after he weaned. I have a green cheek, a Quaker, a cockatiel, and 8 budgies, and it's been interesting so far, lol.

Kane is his name, and he honesty just doesn't care about the other birds as of now, it's like they don't even exist. He's a Velcro bird, always stuck to me, always crying for me to come get him. But while the cockatiel, green cheek, and Quaker get up in the morning, eat at their respective cages, and then meet up for their day of playing together, Kane is doing his own thing on or in his cage, or on a T-Stand watching what I'm doing. My green cheek desperately wants to play with him, but Kane just ignores him completely, which is hard, lol. I've seen many Senegals living with other birds and they generally are jealous and will let all other birds know who's in charge, regardless of the other bird's size. The Senegal usually wins, and there are fights about their "person", so I'm waiting for it to happen. Honeymoon phase right now, lol.

I'm 37, single, live alone, no kids...so there isn't a problem with another person, so that may help me down the line. We'll see. I can tell you 100% without a doubt that I love Kane's personality, he's independent yet attached to me already, loves to cuddle and play, loves scritches and hugs, and his favorite place to be is in the hood of the sweatshirt I'm wearing. If there's no hood it's under my hair and behind my ear (which he's a bit large for, lol). I put his cage in my dining room/kitchen, while the other 3 cages are in the connected living room. So all of the birds can see and hear each other, and the other 3 birds spend time on each other's cages, while Kane is off in his own little world, playing away in the kitchen/dining room. It's weird, they are all flighted so I was expecting dive-bombing of cages, fights, screaming back and forth, but nothing yet. And I'm happy to report that he likes my mom and my stepfather so far...I've been taking him to Petco, Home Depot, anywhere he's allowed inside to let him see new people, and no problems yet... we'll see...

"Dance Like Nobody's Watching"

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
This is Kane the first day home about 3 weeks ago. He's already double this size I think, lol.

a35e1c716e3d7c216bd8498e39e740da.jpg

"Dance Like Nobody's Watching"

Most Reactions

Latest posts