separation anxiety

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
I've been doing some research and I am pretty sure my Conure has separation anxiety. Whenever I leave the room he will start screaming and wailing until I come back. I've looked at solutions and he has lots of toys, a decent-sized cage, and I swap it around a lot. I come to realize lately I've been babying him too much and have started to spend less time with him so he can remain healthy. Which is another suggestion to solve his separation anxiety. Does anyone know if getting a second bird will help or further increase this issue? I think having someone to communicate with will help him out when I cannot be there.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
IMHO, Parrots have emotions and will display them. That said, I do not believe that 'separation anxiety' is one of them. I believe that you have taught your Parrot that screaming gets you attentions and that you react to the screaming. Parrots love getting the attention of Humans. Separation anxiety is a high-order disorder reserved for Humans.

You need to change what you are doing by activity increasing your contact calls with your Parrot. Kind of like: I am over here and I am okay! I will be returning in XX minutes. What are you doing. This can be any number of interactions. To a degree, you are very lucky you do not have one of the Larger Species that can scream /call-out at the same decibel level as a 707 Jet Aircraft.

OP
Quetki

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
IMHO, Parrots have emotions and will display them. That said, I do not believe that 'separation anxiety' is one of them. I believe that you have taught your Parrot that screaming gets you attentions and that you react to the screaming. Parrots love getting the attention of Humans. Separation anxiety is a high-order disorder reserved for Humans.

You need to change what you are doing by activity increasing your contact calls with your Parrot. Kind of like: I am over here and I am okay! I will be returning in XX minutes. What are you doing. This can be any number of interactions. To a degree, you are very lucky you do not have one of the Larger Species that can scream /call-out at the same decibel level as a 707 Jet Aircraft.
I'm pretty sure it's a thing. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Dogs, cats, and I'm sure birds can suffer from it. I don't really award him attention when he screeches.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm pretty sure it's a thing. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Dogs, cats, and I'm sure birds can suffer from it. I don't really award him attention when he screeches.

You opinion, my opinion, we choose to disagree on its application based on the action of your Parrot. Your Parrot screams, you respond! Seems like a learned response. But, that's my opinion.
Thanks for bring this to the Forum.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I know when my dog displayed separation anxiety in my dorm I brought my other dog a d since they had each other then no more howling!

I also volunteered with a rescue and would help rescues with anxiety. Everytime you leave a room you say you are leaving and will be back. When you leave the house say the same thing then if the dog begins crying or demonstrating destructive habit you go back and tell the dog to go lay down and you will be back. This is a processes and done for dogs... never done this for a parrot tho. This method has worked eventime (its not an overnight solution) and never needed medication.

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot

Mine has that volume level. He has honed it during his early abuse years and can rattle dishes with it.. I just keep the bird on me when i am home. This solves the separation issues mine would have and he just sleeps in another room at night in the actual cage. of course not everyone has the option to have a bird on their shoulder all day long or all evening long depending on weekday/weekend... I work full time also, so this is why also i do it, after 10hrs away, he needs 4 hrs with...

Most Reactions