Sharing a bone

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Amy my Amazon loves chicken. If I get fried chicken he'll walk along the floor and beg like a dog. I always save him the drumstick, and he has a ball with it. So a couple days ago I gave him the leg bone and his little brother Beebs happened to be out of the cage too. Check out the little guy stealing bites from Amy's prize possession -

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi David! GIving Amy a whole chicken leg, with meat on, has always been one of the things I disagreed on with Jim, and we had few. Bones, yes, well cleaned and free from grease and oils, but the whole leg, I always felt that it was one of the contributing factors to Amy's overall health condition. My opinion - a small amount of chicken meat- fine; a whole legs worth - too much protein especially for an elder AMazon. Both parrots, Amy and Beebs are now your responsibility. Make good decisions for them.

And Beebs is so cute when she steals! Could have been a pickpocket or cat burglar!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
David, Amy and the Beebs looks so healthy and happy, and I know that Jim is looking down at you with joy at how you're taking care of them.

None of my birds like bones at all, when I offered them I gave them ones like Al mentioned, and with about the same amount of meat that we're seeing on Amy's bone. I agree with Al that this amount would be okay, but not a whole leg filled with meat.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
They’re so cute! It reminds me of how Cricket and Kirby would interact. Miss that little guy.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Both my African Grey and 27 year old Senegal loved that too. I only fed them with no meat or just a tiny bit left on. I usually broke the bone half detached so not to hurt their beak. They seemed to have fun chewing up the bone into little pieces to dig into the little treasure (bone marrow) inside. I only fed them very occasionally and only from a steamed or boiled chicken. Not sure if bone marrow is harmful but my Senegal had a very healthy life for 27 years without a single vet visit till we lost him to a bacteria infection without the help from avian vets in our area.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe marrow is a very high protein food. Safe for them, but not fed on a regular basis, unless recovering from a heavy molt, lots of egg bearing or maybe from a broken bone injury.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Totally agreed, definitely not on a regular basis. Given to them just wanted to let them have some fun other than toys.

If they also ate the bone pieces, wondering if it's their natural instinct to acquire needed calcium.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
There is only the gristle and a couple shreds of meat on it. I ate the rest.
Make sure you parboil the drum and clean any food you have eaten before feeding.

We still regret and blame ourselves that we did not do that sometimes by giving my Senegal food after chewing on it with our saliva on it causing bacteria to build up that killed him at the end. We had done that for so many years with no issues when he was a young bird but not so while his immune system weakened when he aged.

So always better be safe than sorry even though that may not be the main cause.

Most Reactions

Latest posts