Should I adopt a parrot

davidinbx

May 1, 2022
I'm new to this forum so sorry if I am in the wrong section or the format is wrong. Anyways I have wanted to adopt/buy a medium-sized parrot for a few years now. I have had experience with parrots before (budgies, cockatiels, rainbow lorikeets). I am moving to Ottawa for University next year and I am pretty sure that I will have to attend classes for 3-4 hours a day and probably study as well on the weekends. I will be living in an apartment that my parents bought either alone or with a friend. After I graduate I will be moving back to British Columbia or back to China. I have a house in both China and British Columbia so I'm not worried about finding a place to live that's suited for a parrot. I'm also not worried about the cost or not having enough time. Some problems that I am aware of are what happens if I go back home during the holidays and the noise levels (I will be living in an apartment for at least 4 years unless something changes). I'm planning to take my bird with me on holidays but I do have to research more about birds traveling between Canada and China though because I will have to visit my family there. Of course it varies individually but I am planning to get an African Grey because they seemed to be one of the more quiet medium-sized birds. Of course I will have to do alot more research before getting a parrot and I would just like some advice/insight on potential problems that I haven't thought about and/or solutions to problems.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, davidinbx! Kudos to you for preparing well ahead of time for seeking solutions to potential problems before they arise, particularly when it comes to international travel with a parrot!

It calls to mind a similar situation previously experienced by another member, who took her conure from the US to Japan - there will be many similarities in the complexities with travel between Canada and China but of course likely differences as well. I will link their story here for you, until such times as you may hopefully receive a response from someone (perhaps even @sweetpeamusic themselves) who has more hands-on experience to offer you.

One of our most esteemed members, @Scott, happens to be a former airline pilot - hopefully he will spot your post and have some valuable insights for you too.

Although I cannot remember exactly where I read it, I have also heard of some very sad instances where it was not only an issue getting a bird into a foreign country, but it was later much more difficult to get them "home" again due to sudden changes in various import and quarantine regulations and sheer bureaucratic red tape, so the practicalities of moving back and forth between countries may be even more daunting.

I wish you all the very best with whichever choices you ultimately make 🙏

OP
D

davidinbx

May 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, davidinbx! Kudos to you for preparing well ahead of time for seeking solutions to potential problems before they arise, particularly when it comes to international travel with a parrot!

It calls to mind a similar situation previously experienced by another member, who took her conure from the US to Japan - there will be many similarities in the complexities with travel between Canada and China but of course likely differences as well. I will link their story here for you, until such times as you may hopefully receive a response from someone (perhaps even @sweetpeamusic themselves) who has more hands-on experience to offer you.

One of our most esteemed members, @Scott, happens to be a former airline pilot - hopefully he will spot your post and have some valuable insights for you too.

Although I cannot remember exactly where I read it, I have also heard of some very sad instances where it was not only an issue getting a bird into a foreign country, but it was later much more difficult to get them "home" again due to changes in various import and quarantine regulations and sheer bureaucratic red tape, so the practicalities of moving back and forth between countries may be even more daunting.

I wish you all the very best with whichever choices you ultimately make 🙏
Thank you so much for your advice.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You're most welcome, I hope it helps you 🙏

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Honestly, a) Getting a parrot while still in university is not a good idea. Besides class time, and study time, you will have a social life. Parrots like Greys need like 4-6 hrs out of cage and much of that one on one time. No weekends off, no staying over someones house, no spring break vacations. and b) unless you have the patience of a Saint, complying with all the international rules for moving birds in and out of countries, the bureaucracy is STAGGERING, and then the rules of the given airline can be just as convoluted.

OP
D

davidinbx

May 1, 2022
Honestly, a) Getting a parrot while still in university is not a good idea. Besides class time, and study time, you will have a social life. Parrots like Greys need like 4-6 hrs out of cage and much of that one on one time. No weekends off, no staying over someones house, no spring break vacations. and b) unless you have the patience of a Saint, complying with all the international rules for moving birds in and out of countries, the bureaucracy is STAGGERING, and then the rules of the given airline can be just as convoluted.
Of course I will wait until I get into University to see how much time I have/or I can make. I am pretty antisocial and used to spending long hours on my hobbies. However, the traveling part is still a problem and I probably won't get one without finding a decent solution to it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi davidinbx, thanks for an informative, passionate introduction! Previous responses share keen insights into challenges as student and facilitating movement between nations. Having your own college residence removes major deterrent with you as landlord. Life with a highly intelligent Grey requires personal sacrifices and tradeoffs for decades. They are generally among the least noisy species but can be neurotic and resistant to change. Among the more demanding species with high risk/benefit potential. Of the two variants I have a Timneh, less common than better known and visually stunning Congo. I'd recommend reading this forum's Cag 101 and spending time with Greys if possible at a rescue, sanctuary, breeder, etc. https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/cag-101.59366/

Movement between nations governed by CITES rules and facilitation. (customs + immigrations) Past member experiences include mind-numbing rules and requirements to say nothing of periodic illnesses including avian influenza. Careful consideration will determine whether spending the better part of your life with an amazing companion parrot is possible!

Most Reactions

Latest posts