Should I get another Kakariki

mcliplef

Jan 16, 2021
:green1:Hello everyone,
I am a new member to this group. I have a Kakariki named Kiwi. This past summer, her cage mate, Tango, died of an in known illness which our vet believes was not contagious. Any way, Kiwiw has seemed kind of bored since. She lives in a 9 ft tall by 4 ft wide cage and I get her new toys all of the time. But she really just wants to come out to play, but our house isn't safe enough because of certain plants we have and how well she can fly. Should I look into getting another female? Or would it likely not go well.

Thanks!:green1:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello, and welcome to you and Kiwi! I admit, I have no specific kakariki knowledge, but I'll offer what I can. Here's a link that might be helpful: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/74214-introducing-second-bird.html

Really, the reason to get a second bird is because YOU want one. It's never guaranteed that they will get along. They very well may, but if not, can complicate things. I speak from experience here, with an Ekkie and a YNA that can't be out of cages at the same time.

Sounds like an amazing cage you have there, but again, what do you do if in fact they don't like each other? Kiwi could also be protective of "her" cage, so even if she gets along with a new friend in neutral territory, her home might be a different matter.

Just a few thoughts to consider. BTW, if you'd like to share, we love pictures here! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts