Should I setup a designated feeding area??

Jroyal14

Sep 13, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
12 y/o male African Grey (Mickey)
Hi guys.. so quick question. So Iā€™m looking to build a nice play stand for my birds. This stand will be in the living room and separate from the bird room. In hopes of keeping the area as clean as possible, Iā€™m wondering if I should have a separate stand/area for them to eat while theyā€™re out hanging with us.. I have a simple stand with a small perch with 2 cups on each end. My BG likes to hang out on there. Should I put that stand in a separate area and let them go back and forth to eat/drink so should I try to add food/water bowls to the actual stand? All the birds are flighted.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hard call, depends on your fastidiousness and definition of "clean as possible!" Macaws have huge beak-toss radius, most enjoy the fun!! With access to food in bird room, providing elsewhere not mandatory - in fact perfect opportunity for giving treats while hanging out.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I just have actual food and water on my stands at all times. They get most food waste on the floor so not much extra cleaning involved, and they love being able to eat and then go right back to playing.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have treat/veggies dishes at two of my play areas. And one pellet station.

They are so flock oriented and so might not be as willing to fly out of sight for a snack . And enjoy eating together with you

Most Reactions

Latest posts