Should I stay with a lovebird, or try with a different breed?

snipergirl

Sep 11, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Lovebird 2017-2023
Hello everyone! Great to be here.

I had a lovebird who recently passed (July 2023) that I loved very much. I was lucky to have him for 6.5years. I have now finally mentally cleared myself to go looking for a bird again this last weekend. My birdhouse (where I got my lovebird from and used to board him) has been gracious enough to let me play with different birds to see how they are and the difference in behaviour/quirks.

With my lovebird, we used to cuddle and hang out in bed, go for drives, (I would take him anywhere that I could possibly carry him) I took him to the beach and down to the Keys. He loved walking thought Home Depot (especially the garden area). We would go walking in my community after I got home from work, once it wasn't too hot or raining. He was a great co-pilot. I am looking to do this again with my new bird.

(A background on my lifestyle: I work 7am-330pm Mon-Fri, single person household, townhouse/condo)

I have found myself gravitating towards a pineapple (green cheek) conure, but in doing research they seem to be more prone to plucking when compared to the rest of the small bird family. I also noticed that he was a bit nippy, but not noticeably aggressive (understandable as he is not used to me, my lovebird was the same way in the beginning).

I am trying to stay small (I live in a condo) as I assume bigger birds=bigger noise, and also a bigger bite! However, I have also been considering an 8 year old eclectus, who's parents are retired and looking to spend out their days traveling. I was thinking more along the lines of giving him a 2nd chance at a home. I, however do not have any eclectus experience (only small birds), and in doing research I have noted that they have a longer digestive tract, among other important factors.

Ultimately, I am trying to figure out the best choice for my lifestyle and also what is fair for whichever bird that I am lucky to bring home. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Best regards.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I believe gccs and lovebirds have equal potential to pluck but I could be wrong. It's not too common in them. Eclectus however are very prone to plucking. My eclectus has barbered his feathers the entire time I've had him. I do my best to prevent it and stop it entirely but unfortunately it's likely one of those things that will happen his entire life, I'm just grateful that it's just barbering the ends off and now full on plucking / hurting his skin.

Diet is very important to eclectus as they are a lot more sensitive. You need a good pellet with no soy, added vitamins, added colors, and I suggest no corn as it's usually a filler and a lot of eclectus have bad reactions to corn. Also no unnatural preservatives. Most use TOPs as it's one of the few that meet these requirements but there are other options. They also need a really good chop / veggie diet. Eclectus can be very loud however if they're getting their needs met they are usually pretty quiet.

OP
snipergirl

snipergirl

Sep 11, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Lovebird 2017-2023
I believe gccs and lovebirds have equal potential to pluck but I could be wrong. It's not too common in them. Eclectus however are very prone to plucking. My eclectus has barbered his feathers the entire time I've had him. I do my best to prevent it and stop it entirely but unfortunately it's likely one of those things that will happen his entire life, I'm just grateful that it's just barbering the ends off and now full on plucking / hurting his skin.

Diet is very important to eclectus as they are a lot more sensitive. You need a good pellet with no soy, added vitamins, added colors, and I suggest no corn as it's usually a filler and a lot of eclectus have bad reactions to corn. Also no unnatural preservatives. Most use TOPs as it's one of the few that meet these requirements but there are other options. They also need a really good chop / veggie diet. Eclectus can be very loud however if they're getting their needs met they are usually pretty quiet.
Noted! Thank you for all of this, I appreciate it!

Most Reactions