Shower perch without suction cups?

NeitherSparky

Nov 12, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Parrots
Fizzgig: White bellied caique; rip my perfect gcc Kiwi 1997-2018
Hey guys, my tub/shower in the new house is tiled all the way to the ceiling and the tiles are porous, suction cups don't stick. How else can I do a shower perch? Any suggestions? All I can think of is to attach a board horizonally on the wall outside the shower so it sticks out over the tile and then attach something to that hanging down. It would look atrocious though. ;) I don't even want to attempt to drill into the tiles, I had to have that done (to attach the curtain rod) and my friend had to do that for me as I don't have a powerful enough drill. Plus I don't want to leave holes.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I’ve got a stand up shower in our master bath..no tub. I just put up a shower curtain and covered it with vet tape for grip.

OP
NeitherSparky

NeitherSparky

Nov 12, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Parrots
I’ve got a stand up shower in our master bath..no tub. I just put up a shower curtain and covered it with vet tape for grip.

Putting a curtain rod along the length of the tub at somewhere between waist and shoulder height would be fine except the reason I had to have my friend drill holes for a permanent rod is the spring-type won't stay, it kept falling. I wouldn't want to put my bird on a rod that could fall of course.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
One of my friends simply built a pvc pipe stand that stands on the floor to about waist high for her macaw. Another alternative is to repurpose one of those wire shower shelf things that hangs from the shower head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NeitherSparky

NeitherSparky

Nov 12, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Parrots
One of my friends simply built a pvc pipe stand that stands on the floor to about waist high for her macaw. Another alternative is to repurpose one of those wire shower shelf things that hangs from the shower head.

A floor stand may be the only option. I already have one of those wire shelf things on the shower head for my shampoo and stuff.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wait one very long moment here. You have tiles that are porous in your shower? So, where does the water that flows into the tile go when it hits the back? Into the cement board and than down to the floor and under the floor to the drain? That system is commonly not designed to support that amount of flow. Sounds like the perfect place for mold to grow. I am guessing that this is some new type of system, maybe?

The fact that a suction cup will not hold implies that the air flow is high, which states that the reverse flow of water is also high. Are you certain that there is not a sealant on the surface of the tiles that results in the suction cups sliding down?

Hmmm, learn something new everyday as part of Parrot Forums.

The stand is a great idea.

NOTE: DYI members, never use porous tiles in a shower or bath surround.

OP
NeitherSparky

NeitherSparky

Nov 12, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Parrots
Wait one very long moment here. You have tiles that are porous in your shower?

Sorry wrong word. Textured. So a suction cup won't hold a seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wait one very long moment here. You have tiles that are porous in your shower?

Sorry wrong word. Textured. So a suction cup won't hold a seal.

Now that makes sense!
Try an upscale Kitchen and Bath Store. They may have the much more expensive type of rod that uses an end that is threaded. One can cut the rod to length and adjust the ends / compression applies to the walls. The larger the diameter of the rubber end piece the greater the load it can support.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing here ... but if your bathroom is smallish/narrow you can get those rods for showercurtains that have a spring/ twist-it-to-wedge-it-tight construction-> no drilling, no sucktion cups.
(I have one from IKEA, it was a few euroos, unfortunately not strong/large enough to support my oversized macaw, but your bird is really a featherweight so should be okay ;) )
add vetwrap or glue some rope on it and you have your showerperch...

Most Reactions

Latest posts