Sick lovebird, help please

Victoria_Chips

Dec 26, 2020
Netherlands
Parrots
One sick lovebird :(
Hi all,

I just registered on this site today because I feel a bit desperate and need to know what else I can do for my sick lovebird, Avi.

He's around 5 years old and my only pet, I am his "mate". Three days ago, all of a sudden, he started limping, holding his left foot up. He didn't hit anything in the house or fall down (at least not that I witnessed, he's an excellent flyer), and I also didn't do anything out of the ordinary with him (as in, squeezing him extra tight in my hand or something).

The next morning I took him to the vet. They did two x-rays, and told me that the leg/foot is not broken, but that his internal organs (more specifically, kidneys and testicles) are imflamated. They also did a poop sample and saw more bacteria than usual, hence they assumed it's a bacterial infection. Because the bill was already over $200, I stopped them there, since they wanted to do a blood test too...

They gave me antibiotics and painkillers, as well as bird formula. It's now day 3 and Avi is getting worse by the hour... He is not eating at all (yesterday he ate a bit of millet, today nothing at all, also not drinking any water), so now I am force- feeding him with a syringe (the bird foruma + antibiotic), which is just terrible... I am doing my best to make it as painless as I can for him, but it's still a horrible procedure to do... He is now afraid of me, doesn't come to me or let me hold him anymore (whereas before he would always be on my shoulder or let me hold him).

He looks very weak, has lost weight, although still flying a bit. In his cage he doesn't perch, but hangs off the side of the cage, holdin gon the metal bars with his beak and his right foot.

At this rate, I don't see him surviving the next few days. Has anyone ever experienced this with their birds, this seemingly sudden leg paralysis and bacterial infection? Even if the antibiotic works, can a bird go back to normal eating (millet etc.), after being force-fed through a syringe?

Any ideas, advice is welcome... I will not go back to the vet though, cannot afford these huge costs :(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. Sorry you are joining us at this stressful time. None of here are Avian vets, so follow your vets recommended treatments. Force feeding ( or gravage as its called) a bird is very tricky , as the feeding tube has to go down the correct pipe in the birds beak and throat and into his crop. I hope your vet trained you so you are not making a bad situation worse. Here is hoping your little lovebird improves!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When an Avian Professional recommends blood testing they have specific concerns from the evaluation and testing that they completed. Your choice not to proceed greatly limit determining what may specifically be causing your birds continual worsening and possible loss.

At this point, you should continue to provide the medication provided by the Avian Professional and either return to the Vet today or make an appointment first thing Monday.

Birds are expensive, especially when they require Avian Medical care.

'IF' your Bird recovers, they can fully recover...

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
I'm sorry your baby us sick. I think kidney infection can cause lameness but I'm not sure.. sometimes antibiotics need to be switched to a different kind. What kind is he on?

Warmth is critical fir supporting sick birds.
I'm going to attach some links. And a thread that we filled with links and tips for a different sick love bird. I hope yiu will read through it and follow those links.
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/sickbirdcare.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/lovebirds/88047-sick-bird-lovebird-please-help.html

Im.so sorry you have a sick friend. I hope very much for a recovery

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Avi under the most stressful and frightening of circumstances.

An infection seems likely from description, but the reason blood tests are recommended is to determine the specific organism(s) causing inflammation. Without detailed information, the vet likely prescribed a broad-spectrum antibiotic. The universe of meds is large, and a carefully selected therapy offers best chance of complete cure. Any chance you can borrow the funds or arrange payment plan of some sort? No guarantee but offers best chance of success.

OP
V

Victoria_Chips

Dec 26, 2020
Netherlands
Parrots
One sick lovebird :(
Thank you all for the replies, and the kind words. It's Day 4, and Avi seems to be getting just a tiny bit better... maybe the antibiotics are helping.

He is eating from time to time by himself (only millet, nothing else though), and has even started to arrange his feathers (started to care about looking good?). Feeding him through the syringe has gotten a lot easier, I figured out a better way to do it (wrapping him in a small towel like a burrito, it apparently calms him down). He is also not afraid again of me, lets me hold him and pet him, sleeps on my tummy. But his left foot is still almost completely useless.

I will monitor his state in the coming couple of days and if he worsens or doesn't get better, will call the vet and decide on the blood test or other course of action... A bit ridiculous though how expensive these medical care costs are for pets.. :( But I definitely want him to get better, he's only 5 years old.

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
Me and my birds are praying for your bird. Hope he gets better soon.

Feeding birds with a syringe is a huge problem, especially water. Make sure you're doing it right... a little here and there and boom, your bird has a respiratory problem now. (not being rude or offensive, just telling because I think I wasn't being careful enough when I had to give my bird medicines through syringe 2 years ago {he had a leg injury})

Perhaps ask your friends or family... or even the bank for a small loan if necessary (which I would definitely do...)

My lovebird was cured with bayrocin, which is a very... well, you can say something that's given when there aren't any tests involved. In your situation, even after all the effort, he should be getting better. I have no idea, knowledge or experience with how to cure a bird with inflated kidneys and testicles. Perhaps other people with more experience and knowledge will help you out. Glad to hear he is eating by himself now :)
Also, try to get him to eat his favorite vegetables.

Keep him warm... the room temperature should ALWAYS be above 20C. I'd definitely recommend higher since your bird is really sick.

Is he drinking normal?
What about his poops?
I am assuming his poops aren't normal because of hid kidney... though I hope he is okay.
Thanks!
:rainbow1:
:rainbow1:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would not wait to seek the help of an avian vet, as birds hide illness very well and when they are showing it, it's important to act. It all depends on what is wrong, but if he is getting worse, I'd seem help. It's impossible to know whether they will be able to do anything, but if you are going to do bloodwork, I think it would be more useful now than later. It may stress him out, so it just depends on how skilled your vet is and how bad things are.

I'm sorry you are going through this...It is possible that he could also have some sort of viral issue or disease and that the bacteria is secondary to it.

I really hope that he pulls through...

This is hard to say, but if he doesn't make it, I would strongly urge you to get a necroscopy in order to determine the cause-- certain diseases can linger in an environment (carpet, air ducts etc) for over a year, and if he has one that is serious, it is important to know that (especially if you have, or plan to get other birds).

Most Reactions