Single green-winged macaw can be a good Surrogate mother?

macawstw

May 24, 2022
Parrots
blue and gold macaw. Greenwing macaw.
Hi everyone,I got a question. I have a pair of green-winged macaw they are mated and lay eggs.The problem is female won't hatch eggs. The interesting thing is I have a single female macaw lays eggs and hatch unfertilized eggs. My question is the single green-winged macaw can be a good surrogate mother to hatch eggs from others?
Anyone has the same experience? Thank you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi everyone,I got a question. I have a pair of green-winged macaw they are mated and lay eggs.The problem is female won't hatch eggs. The interesting thing is I have a single female macaw lays eggs and hatch unfertilized eggs. My question is the single green-winged macaw can be a good surrogate mother to hatch eggs from others?
Anyone has the same experience? Thank you.
Maybe sheā€™d be able to care for the eggs and chicks. I think it would be worth a try. But she wouldnā€™t have help from a mate so you would have to give her extra help, food, etc.

OP
M

macawstw

May 24, 2022
Parrots
Maybe sheā€™d be able to care for the eggs and chicks. I think it would be worth a try. But she wouldnā€™t have help from a mate so you would have to give her extra help, food, etc.
Thank you for your replying. I don't know if it will be different compare to mated female who knows when and how to turn the eggs when needed.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for your replying. I don't know if it will be different compare to mated female who knows when and how to turn the eggs when needed.
I donā€™t think that a female with a mate would know better than one without how to care for a clutch of eggs.

You could purchase an incubator for the eggs and see if the female would be able to feed the hatched chicks. Or you might conclude that you didnā€™t want to breed from a pair of birds that donā€™t care for their babies.

I am not sure what your knowledge and experience base is. I think you need to have another breeder or an avian vet to closely advise you.

OP
M

macawstw

May 24, 2022
Parrots
I donā€™t think that a female with a mate would know better than one without how to care for a clutch of eggs.

You could purchase an incubator for the eggs and see if the female would be able to feed the hatched chicks. Or you might conclude that you didnā€™t want to breed from a pair of birds that donā€™t care for their babies.

I am not sure what your knowledge and experience base is. I think you need to have another breeder or an avian vet to closely advise you.
I do have incubators like grumbach and brinsea, but it was failed to hatch the eggs from day-1. The eggs always dead in shell around days 6-8. That's why I asked someone knows if the single female can be done from day-1~day-15.Thank you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If sheā€™ll incubate the egg, youā€™re good. But thatā€™s the big question. Will she incubate it?

OP
M

macawstw

May 24, 2022
Parrots
If sheā€™ll incubate the egg, youā€™re good. But thatā€™s the big question. Will she incubate it?
She sets on the eggs everyday but I don't know if the eggs turning time will be ok. I don't know if it's mother nature to hatch the eggs even she is single.

Most Reactions

Latest posts