Skye FINALLY decided to try his veggies

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
I caught Skye nibbling on his romaine lettuce. He was also rubbing his head on it to he has a bit of a green tint to his face. He looks so silly! We also started to switch his seed to a better option. So far heā€™s tolerating the change, but Iā€™m still mixing in what he had been eating at the pet store. Those bags last FOREVER!

He also has refused pellets at this point. He literally picks them out and throws them on his floor. Not the greatest but if heā€™s going to start eating his veggies then I guess I can live with that. Fingers crossed he starts to eat his other veggies soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Have you tried spritzing his greens with a little water and clipping them to the bars near a perch? I also suggest you offer some fresh broccoli like this.

That's so cute he was greenfaced. :3 Seed isn't really as bad an option for budgies as it is for a larger bird who often is fed mostly sunflower and peanuts when fed seed. Budgie mixes tend to be actually decently close to their natural diet, especially with the addition of fresh veggies. Feed pellets if you want, by all means, but don't fret too much if he would rather eat seed and veggies.

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
Glad you've gotten Skye started on at least lettuce. I'm still working on Oliver, but at least he's getting some dried veggies in his feed. I know fresh is best, but dried is better than none. How's it coming with the new bird?

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Have you tried spritzing his greens with a little water and clipping them to the bars near a perch? I also suggest you offer some fresh broccoli like this.

That's so cute he was greenfaced. :3 Seed isn't really as bad an option for budgies as it is for a larger bird who often is fed mostly sunflower and peanuts when fed seed. Budgie mixes tend to be actually decently close to their natural diet, especially with the addition of fresh veggies. Feed pellets if you want, by all means, but don't fret too much if he would rather eat seed and veggies.

I have tried whole and cut up veggies. Raw and cooked and partly cooked. Iā€™ve offered romaine, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, squash, green beans, turnip, squash and kale so far. I also tried apple and pear slices. He ignored the fruit as well so I see no need to offer fruit again at this point. He will investigate his daily offering if served on a flat plate on the cage floor but this is the first time I can say heā€™s eaten any. I also literally stabbed the romaine onto a perch the past few days, so maybe thatā€™s the key! Iā€™ve tried sprinkling seeds or millet on top as well and nope. Even the seeds werenā€™t touched when I did that. I did try clipping broccoli to the side once and he wasnā€™t happy about it so I havenā€™t done it again. Iā€™ll try again in the next couple days. But I know for sure tomorrow Iā€™m stabbing the romaine onto his perch again.

I figure as long as Iā€™m offering and heā€™s willing to investigate thatā€™s better than nothing. I was so happy he went for the romaine. Maybe the romaine will be a stepping stone for him to try more foods!

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Glad you've gotten Skye started on at least lettuce. I'm still working on Oliver, but at least he's getting some dried veggies in his feed. I know fresh is best, but dried is better than none. How's it coming with the new bird?

The new one is a Houdini. Got the food doors secure, replaced his feed dishes...and he still got out when I went to change his water. At least he isnā€™t letting himself out anymore!

I was really excited Skye ate his romaine today. Heā€™s been a picky boy so hopefully this is him turning a corner. How is Oliver doing outside the cage?

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
Oliver has not come out of the cage in a couple of days, so will try again soon. I don't know if you can buy cage doors alone for the cage the bird is getting out of, but if you can you may see if you can get some like on my cage. On each door on the inside center near the top of the doors the bar is bent inward so that it is virtually impossible for the bird to open the door when closed. Could solve the escape problem. The two main doors swing open and don't have that, but they hook over the panel of the cage to secure it.

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Oliver has not come out of the cage in a couple of days, so will try again soon. I don't know if you can buy cage doors alone for the cage the bird is getting out of, but if you can you may see if you can get some like on my cage. On each door on the inside center near the top of the doors the bar is bent inward so that it is virtually impossible for the bird to open the door when closed. Could solve the escape problem. The two main doors swing open and don't have that, but they hook over the panel of the cage to secure it.

That how the doors on out big cage work too. Skye never tried to get out but this little guy...he is going to a challenge.

Most Reactions