Sleep cage

mrsmerc

Aug 25, 2020
Media
I have a green cheek conure. He's almost 2 years old. I have been considering getting a small sleep cage. Any suggestions on how to acclimate him without freaking him out?
When he was younger I was attempting to try the halter on him. Now he's totally freaked out by hands. He'll step up on your arm but he'll run if you show your hand. I have tried to reassure him but hands are a big no-no. Not sure if this can be overcome. He's a good little bird and it would be so nice to be able to hold him again.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm a huge fan of sleep cages, placed adjacent to my bed! Rotate various birds at night, they absolutely love the closeness.

Very good chance at conditioning your GCC into tolerating hands with time, patience, and love. Try rebuilding trust incrementally, beginning with offering treats by hand. (if not already possible) Some techniques: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Have you tried using a perch instead? Syd is not scared of hands but sometimes he is simply unsure so there are many occasions when I use a piece of perch instead. Very often I hold a seed in the same hand so he can just see the tip. He gets so busy trying to get the seed out of my fingers that he forgets why he was unsure. You have to be prepared to play the long game. Hands have treats only. You have to convince him that they do not appear for any other reason as far as he is concerned.

Syd also has a sleep cage. He is usually pretty good at accepting new things but it is perseverance. So get the cage and leave it in the room where your little one usually hangs out. Leave it around and eventually he will go in it. Leave food/treats in it and water and when it is no longer a worry close the door for a short time. Increasing the time until one day you simply put him in (with a piece of perch if necessary) for the night. Don't set a timetable just go by instinct and observation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts