sleep

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
hello again!
I am back with another question! (they will never end!)
Winnie's cage is in my bedroom. I am worried she doesn't get enough sleep. I try to give her 12 hours but sometimes i am up in the night so she does have a bit of a disrupted sleep. I put her to bed at 6-7pm as i usually have to wake up at 6am and she really does just climb into her cage at around 6 herself.
i was wondering if this will effect her health or behaviour?
if i got her a sleep cage for downstairs in the study (the only free room which is safe from our cats and dog) it would probably be worse.
so can i do anything to help her sleep better?
i do cover her cage with a blanket at night
thanks!
winnie 3.jpeg

extra winnie photo for no reason

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I find that my Amazon Salty does not stir with normal activity in his sleeping area, which is in our living/dining/kitchen area. Sounds like someone getting something from the fridge or getting a glass of water etc, are normal sounds and he is used to them. Dropping a glass or really rustling around in the fridge would wake him up and I get a little peep to know i woke him up. Quiet is relative and the jungle or forest is not silent at night. A loud TV would keep them up, I think. We dont use the TV in that area at night though.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Conversely, if I open Kirby’s door (no matter how quietly) I can hear him FLAPFLAPFLAPFLAP and wake himself up. I suspect it depends on your bird! I have to be really sure I don’t need anything out of the office before his bedtime. We also used to have his cage in our bedroom but he was definitely not getting quality sleep - I could hear him stirring every time someone made a noise.

Kirby is older with tachycardia though so he takes naps during the day, and hasn’t been too hormonal or persnickety so I assume his sleep is ok. I put him to bed at 9pm and get him up at 9am. He never wants to go to bed when it’s time!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sleep is very subjective as one would want to provide a clear and consistent 12-hours of sleep year around. We live near the 45th Parallel, which means We see bright Sunlight near 16-hours of daylight for our longest day in early Summer and less than 8-hours just prior to Christmas each year. We have allowed him to base his sleep around the available Sunlight. The result is when he hits Hormonal Season, which for him is just after Christmas, when he is full-on Rooster. But, we do not deal with breakthroughs during other parts of the year.

Julio also sleeps in our bedroom and as stated by Wrench, above, the vast majority of times, he may stir with either a wing feather flap or a contact call. We simply contact call back and everyone is back to sleep shortly after.

As long as your Amazon gets a signal that all is well, they commonly roll back into sleep. The problem is when the light or noise continues for an extended time during their normal sleeping time.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I think each bird is different. Our eclectus stirs at the slightest sound. He either flaps or grinds his beak when there is the slightest sound. He sleeps in my office upstairs away from the bustle of the rest of the house. When I had covid, I slept on the sofa in the same room and we woke each other all night. Every time I'd turn over or snore, he'd flip-flap his wings. When he stirred, I'd startle from my sleep to see what was wrong.

OTOH, our conure seems to be a sound sleeper and doesn't stir when we tiptoe through the room. He lives in the sunroom and sleeps when the sun is down. Luckily, he is a very "even" bird and is pretty cool when hormonal.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I think each bird is different. Our eclectus stirs at the slightest sound. He either flaps or grinds his beak when there is the slightest sound. He sleeps in my office upstairs away from the bustle of the rest of the house. When I had covid, I slept on the sofa in the same room and we woke each other all night. Every time I'd turn over or snore, he'd flip-flap his wings. When he stirred, I'd startle from my sleep to see what was wrong.

OTOH, our conure seems to be a sound sleeper and doesn't stir when we tiptoe through the room. He lives in the sunroom and sleeps when the sun is down. Luckily, he is a very "even" bird and is pretty cool when hormonal.

Two-night time guards of the Home! It is likely that your light sleeper Parrot is more common than the that deep sleeper.

Most Reactions