Sleeping cage?

BirdyMom

Sep 6, 2022
Parrots
Hope to have a Quaker
Does anyone have any thoughts about whether it would be an ok idea, or a bad idea, to have a separate sleeping cage for a quaker? It would be a smaller cage, in a different room from the daytime cage. I was thinking that this might help the quaker want to come out of the cage in the mornings. (We don't have the bird yet, just planning.)

(Also, this might be convenient for us, unless it's a bad idea for some reason. We previously had a different kind of bird, in a smaller cage. There was a daytime place for his cage and a nighttime place for his cage, but the cage wasn't hard to move. Now that we're getting a quaker, the (daytime?) cage will be bigger and will be a challenge to move twice a day.)

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
umm Im not too sure I guess its alright. I never heard anyone do that before. Just make sure your bird is comfortable with is day time an night time cage

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have a smaller cage in my bedroom that my Quaker spends some time in. And a perching basket to go on my bed or lap.

Quakers are very attached to their cage/nest. Sometimes I spend a lot of time in my bedroom and I have this smaller cage so Willow has a home base in there. He can sit there and gaze at me if he wants to. Lots of people do have a sleep cage for their Quakers. I don’t use mine much as I think my living room is quieter at night than the bedroom, so the living room is the better sleeping place.

Maybe your bird will really like it be comforted by sleeping in the same room as you.

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
Bacca (My quaker) has only one cage. She sleeps in it and she'll head to it for refuge if she feels she needs it (she detests vacuum cleaners, etc... so I'll typically find her in there if the cleaning ladies show up). Most of the time she sits on one of the perches around the house or on our shoulders. She'll chirp to let us know she wants to be uncovered in the morning and gets pissy if we don't "put her to bed" in the evening, though eventually, she'll give up and climb into cage herself.

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
Does anyone have any thoughts about whether it would be an ok idea, or a bad idea, to have a separate sleeping cage for a quaker?

I don't have a quaker, I have a Congo African Gray, and before that a Blue Front Amazon. For both, they've always had a night cage tucked into the walk-in closet in a guest bedroom of the house. It lets them get a good, solid 12 hours of quiet and dark, for sleep. I also have a small space heater in there, set at 75F, so sleeping is always comfortable. They both love it. Scooter, the CAG, lets me know when it's time to go upstairs to sleep. In the morning she's happy to see me, and wants to come downstairs for breakfast. If I stay up late, or wake up early, it has no effect on her routine.
If you put a small heater in to keep your parrot warm, make *absolutely sure* you clean it weekly (or more often) and keep down and feather dust cleaned up in the sleeping area. That stuff is flammable, and the last thing you want is a fire starting in your parrot's sleeping room. I use the brush attachment for my vacuum cleaner, to clean all the fins and grates on the fan housing.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Where’s the photo of this “supposed” Quaker parakeet?

Posts about Quaker parakeets MUST be accompanied by a photo!

Green, blue, yellow, white, striped?

OP
B

BirdyMom

Sep 6, 2022
Parrots
Hope to have a Quaker
Where’s the photo of this “supposed” Quaker parakeet?

Posts about Quaker parakeets MUST be accompanied by a photo!

Green, blue, yellow, white, striped?
We don't have it yet! Just planning and getting ready. It will be green.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We don't have it yet! Just planning and getting ready. It will be green.
I was just joking! But Quakers have such cute faces with the big beak and the cowlick right above the beak and the Lacey bib. I love Quaker photos.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I was just joking! But Quakers have such cute faces with the big beak and the cowlick right above the beak and the Lacey bib. I love Quaker photos.
I appreciate a good Quaker photo. I've never seen one in real life. I live in one of "those" states.

[Edit] So, it appears the page I linked to has some bad meta data in it, so when it gets unfurled, it is misleading. Experimenting (with BB code)...

Why is a Quaker parakeet illegal in some states?

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I appreciate a good Quaker photo. I've never seen one in real life. I live in one of "those" states.

[Edit] So, it appears the page I linked to has some bad meta data in it, so when it gets unfurled, it is misleading. Experimenting (with BB code)...

Why is a Quaker parakeet illegal in some states?
That’s quite a slanted article. I would disagree with many of those claims. For example, in their native countries, farmers get a tax write off if they blame crop loss on the parakeets. Real crop loss from parakeets is likely much lower. All Quaker parakeets don’t carry psittacosis any more than any other parrots. Etc, etc.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
That’s quite a slanted article. I would disagree with many of those claims. For example, in their native countries, farmers get a tax write off if they blame crop loss on the parakeets. Real crop loss from parakeets is likely much lower. All Quaker parakeets don’t carry psittacosis any more than any other parrots. Etc, etc.

I meant to read it, but, I have parrots. :] They distracted me. I am getting Georgia (Senegal #2) further acquainted with Fletcher (Senegal #3), while trying to keep Ivy (Senegal #4) from getting tos stressed out by it all. Of course, Charlie (Senegal #1) is unphased; he's seen it all before. :]

I live in Pennsylvania. William Penn was a Quaker. I am not allowed to have a Quaker?! Ridiculous. Politicians have banned Quaker parrots here. I'd rather have loads of Quaker parrots and far fewer politicians. :]

I think Quakers are adorable parrots. I hope to meet one someday.

Most Reactions