Smoke from fires here

RiosMom

Apr 20, 2013
Colorado
Parrots
Rio - White Earred Conure
Henry - Quaker Parrot
Hi all, I wanted to get some advice...yet another fire is blowing up here in Colorado. Tonight the wind is blowing straight from the west toward us. My eyes are burning and so are my husbands. Rio is in her room, it isn't as bad in there right now, but if this continues tomorrow what should I do? Windows are all shut, air is on (with filter)...any advice? Thanks!

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Oh, so that's what it is? I came out to check how my sprinklers are working and sure could smell it.
I even have my windows open....hmmmmmmm..... I wonder if I should worry as well.
I wonder what other people going to say.
It's so bad this year here in CO.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope you guys don't have any issues and make it through all right!!!! Aren't air conditioning use the air that's within your house? As it goes from your intake to the system and blows out cold air. Perhaps run a air purifier system in Rio's room....

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
If you have an air purifier, in my mind, that's your best bet. The air conditioner is better than nothing, for sure. We are also being plagued with wild fires here in California. :(

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I have the same concerns, when I was in high school there was a huge fire in the foot hills that filled the valley with smoke for over a week. I'm terrified of what will happen to Rosie or Kenji if another big fire happens. A air purifier, as others suggested, seems to be the best bet.

Here's a photo I took of all the smoke that filled the valley

Fire_God_by_copperarabian.jpg

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Combating smoke inalation involves using several methods. For yourself use masks, but change them every 30 minutes you are outside. For your Fids keeping them inside and away from open windows is essential (also watch under doors). If things get bad cover their cages with wet blankets as you transport them from the house to the car.

OP
RiosMom

RiosMom

Apr 20, 2013
Colorado
Parrots
Rio - White Earred Conure
Henry - Quaker Parrot
It was bad last night, but better today. Thank you all for the info...I'm looking at an air purifier just in case. I couldn't believe how bad it was and it's about 25 miles away. I posted a pic from my front window before the winds blew it in this direction.

Wildfires are bad in Cali, Arizona, and Colorado...stay safe everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 251

Most Reactions

Latest posts