sneezy baby ringneck?!

ernietheringneck

Apr 1, 2020
az
Parrots
ernie, a yellow indian ringneck
iā€™ve been so anxious ever since i started hearing my baby ringneck sneezing last week. heā€™s now 5 weeks old, and when the sneezing started i immediately took him into the vet, i was pretty anxious considering how young he is. she said everything sounded and looked normal and he seemed healthy but because i was hearing so much sneezing, she prescribed him an antibiotic and today heā€™s on his 8th out of 10 days on it. iā€™ve eliminated every possible cause, irritant, and potential allergy i can possibly think of, and added a humidifier to make sure the air isnā€™t too dry. the sneezing was actually starting to disappear, but i heard it again yesterday and today fairly often, at least 15 times a day. i noticed that usually when iā€™ve seen him sneeze, itā€™s after heā€™s preened/ruffled his feathers, so now iā€™m wondering if his own feather dander could be whatā€™s causing the darn sneeze. thereā€™s no discharge whatsoever, and the sneezes seem literally completely dry. i checked his nares to make sure nothing got stuck in them and thereā€™s nothing from what i can tell. his nares also dont appear inflamed or clogged, no clicking with his breathing, and iā€™m dumbfounded because he acts/eats/poops normal, itā€™s just that stupid sneeze that worries me to death.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very sorry that your Thread had been missed!

I understand that shopping locally is more difficult, but you really need to have a digital Temperature /Humidity devise in your home. The digital devises provide 'relative humidity,' which as you know is the humidity level dependent on temperature. As a quick review, as temperature increases, its ability to hold moisture increases and likewise, the temperature falls, its ability to hold moisture decreases.

Point of all of that is; with a Parrot in the home, it is important to know what the relative humidity is, so you can add humidity or decrease it. A general goal is 45 to 55% relative humidity at 70 degrees F. Knowing the Natural Region your Parrot species is from also helps as some are from Jungles while others are from a dry Savanas.

Also, as you noted, Parrots that have a powder base can pick-up the dust and result in a sneeze. Assure that you are bathing your Parrot (or misting) at least once a week.

Hope that this helps!

OP
ernietheringneck

ernietheringneck

Apr 1, 2020
az
Parrots
thank you! i was aware dry air couldā€™ve been the problem last week after taking him to the vet so i put a humidifier in my room to try and aid the problem, and youā€™re right, it would probably be wise of me to get a temp/humidity reader. unfortunately i still hear some sneezes, although less, and this morning i noticed he has a tiny piece of feather dander stuck in his nose, as well as a more suppressed sneezing noise. this panicked me more than iā€™d like to admit so i booked an appointment with the avian vet for 11:30 this morning, and iā€™m praying they can figure out whatā€™s wrong.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
During colder Winters our Amazon will need a nasal flush a couple of times during a Winter.

It is not usual that with the natural moisture in the nasal passages stuff gets caught. Sneezing helps expel that stuff.

Yup, you need to get a temp/humidity station as just running a humidifier provides no understanding of where you are starting from and if you get to the point you want.

OP
ernietheringneck

ernietheringneck

Apr 1, 2020
az
Parrots
thank you! itā€™s been about 5 days since i posted this, and the update is i ended up taking him back to the vet just in case i was missing something i wouldnā€™t want to regret later. it was his second visit in relation to the sneezing, and his avian vet said his choana and nares are clear and his lungs sound perfect. her best guess is that itā€™s a combination of the dry air and his feather dander, as he has quite a lot right now with his feathers opening up. iā€™ve noticed he seems to go without sneezing for a while when i have the humidifier running on high, so i definitely think i found the problem haha. itā€™s so fun to watch him grow, but it is a little nerve racking. i think i probably let my nerves get the best of me in this case

Most Reactions

Latest posts