Sneezy

danewillow

Feb 27, 2008
Media
Ham Lake, MN
Parrots
Timneh African Grey, Yellow-naped Amazon
I just noticed something about Rocky, our Amazon. Every day after work, I get Rocky out of his cage and put him on my shoulder so I can hold the paper towel under Einstein on the way to their perches (his giganto-poop sometimes explodes out of him before I can get to the perch). I've started to notice that every day Rocky sneezes a tiny little sneeze in my ear along the way. He's otherwise very healthy and doesn't seem to be sneezing at any other time. Do you think he could be sneezing because of something in my hair?

Julie

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'm sure he COULD be something in your hair. But it could be a lot of other things as well. As crazy as it sounds it may have been a one time thing the first time, but somehow it got 'accidentally' reinforced, from then on it could just be a tradition of every time he gets out onto your shoulder he sneezes. Many animals engage in such "traditions," which are officially called stereotyped behavior.

You could check it out by trying it out without anything in your hair, or perhaps with your hair tied back.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I agree with Auggies Dad, it could be something in your hair. Maybe you gave him a reaction once that he liked and now he keeps doing it.

Try having nothing in your hair or tied back like Auggies Dad said and let us know what happens.

OP
danewillow

danewillow

Feb 27, 2008
Media
Ham Lake, MN
Parrots
Timneh African Grey, Yellow-naped Amazon
Well.... then I have to go to work with nothing in my hair since I just go straight to the cages and take them out when I get home. I'm not real big on appearances but I don't want to totally scare off my coworkers.

Julie

Most Reactions

Latest posts