LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh yeah, they're cute alright!:love: It's almost impossible to have a barbecue in the great outdoors here without losing at least one sausage or burger or several. Some folks are happier to share than others :)

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think most of my meal would go to the birds.
I would figure they need it more than I do.

There is a not so well known animated movie called the wild life (2016) and one of the bird characters looks to me like a kookaburra except for the color.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I think most of my meal would go to the birds.
I would figure they need it more than I do.

There is a not so well known animated movie called the wild life (2016) and one of the bird characters looks to me like a kookaburra except for the color.

Kookaburras being the largest of the kingfishers, there's definitely some homage being paid to them here. It seems that the character of Kiki is an amalgamation of several species by the looks of things :)

indian-kingfisher-waiting-hunting-something-186829155.jpg

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I didn’t know that. About the Kingfisher.
I wonder if any of the related species makes a call close to the
kookaburra.

I like the way Hollywood uses that call for jungles around the world that don’t have the bird.
oh well it sounds cool and that’s probably why.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I didn’t know that. About the Kingfisher.
I wonder if any of the related species makes a call close to the
kookaburra.

I like the way Hollywood uses that call for jungles around the world that don’t have the bird.
oh well it sounds cool and that’s probably why.
There is actually a second species of kookaburra in Australia, the blue-winged kookaburra, which is found in more northern parts of Australia and New Guinea, whereas the better recognised laughing kookaburra inhabits a range all the way down the east coast. It has a call that, even though it's quite distinct from that of the laughing kookaburra, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's been used to represent exotic birds in foreign jungles as well!

Oh and how gorgeous is this little bird, the spangled kookaburra of New Guinea, that I only learned about today!

Stunning!! 😍

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Kookaburras being the largest of the kingfishers, there's definitely some homage being paid to them here. It seems that the character of Kiki is an amalgamation of several species by the looks of things :)

indian-kingfisher-waiting-hunting-something-186829155.jpg

lol, I didn't know that they are a species of kingfishers.... I heard how somebody called them "overgrown kingfisher" but thought it was a joke :LOL:
Wait, why do I see in the quotation our native species, but not in the post? (Unfortunately I've never seen them:()

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
lol, I didn't know that they are a species of kingfishers.... I heard how somebody called them "overgrown kingfisher" but thought it was a joke :LOL:
Wait, why do I see in the quotation out native species, but not in the post? (Unfortunately I've never seen them:()
I'm not sure, Rozzy. The pics I used were to illustrate the resemblance between those kingfishers and the animated character in that movie. I think the animators borrowed bits from a few different species like the white-throated and common kingfishers when they created that character, because "Kiki" seems to have attributes from both of these, and perhaps from others too :)

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I'm not sure, Rozzy. The pics I used were to illustrate the resemblance between those kingfishers and the animated character in that movie. I think the animators borrowed bits from a few different species like the white-throated and common kingfishers when they created that character, because "Kiki" seems to have attributes from both of these, and perhaps from others too :)
I already know the answer. I think during I was viewing this thread, you edited your post and I was surprised why I got two pictures instead of one in my quote. Now everything works, I see two kingfishers in your post - including common kingfishers :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I already know the answer. I think during I was viewing this thread, you edited your post and I was surprised why I got two pictures instead of one in my quote. Now everything works, I see two kingfishers in your post - including common kingfishers :)
Oh I understand what you mean, but I haven't edited that post, so I don't know why you saw only one pic instead of two 🤷‍♀️

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh I understand what you mean, but I haven't edited that post, so I don't know why you saw only one pic instead of two 🤷‍♀️

Odie was extremely food motivated. Food was his one and only love. Period. Roommate and I had a game called “get Odie to move” which involved finding any stimulus that would get his 20 lb bulk off the floor. When he jumped he made a thud, and when he walked on the porch in winter he snowplowed with his belly. He had a doggish personality, loving food and belly rubs and food and belly rubs. He was literally too fat to bother the Quaker parakeet (though I kept her door closed anyhow). His favorite sound was the can opener

BUT he was a good boy and I still feel guilty for dressing him up in my childhood ballerina tutu and a borrowed goth spikey collar. Odie was a special cat. He did look like Jabba the hut when he sat in a certain way but we loved him anyhow.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There was a time that the Pigeons ruled the roost here at near any gathering that involved food. Then the Raptors made their return and the Pigeons are become rare.

Most Reactions

Latest posts