So I got her a nestbox....

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Thank you very much for the news!!!!

You have a beautiful flock!! It has been my biggest challenge too, to let some of the babies go to another home....who knows if they will be well treated?

I think Tiny and Patchouli are not of the same sex, they will have different ceres. The more violet is the cere at that age the more likely the budgie is a male. The paler (blueish) the cere, the odds are for a female...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Neptune blue quaker (MIA), Ta-dah GCC female, Penny quaker female, Pikachu quaker female!!, Phoebe quaker female, 3 parakeets males, Burt The Burd GCC female RIP
I had a feeling you might be able to part with any!! Look at all those beautiful happy birdies!! Congrats on your flock!
Maybe a plastic leg band on one?
I want more pictures !

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Supporting Member
Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (hatch Sept '18, Gotcha Mar '19). Mr. Jefferson Green Budgie & Miss Calliope Albino Budgie (both hatched Nov '18 & gotcha'd late Jan of '19). And, summer 2021, 4 Baby Budgies!
I had a feeling you might be able to part with any!! Look at all those beautiful happy birdies!! Congrats on your flock!
Maybe a plastic leg band on one?
I want more pictures !
Plastic leg band. Hm, I might look into that. Thank you for the suggestion!

More pics hm. Okay, will work on a few more closeups over the next few days. :)

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Supporting Member
Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (hatch Sept '18, Gotcha Mar '19). Mr. Jefferson Green Budgie & Miss Calliope Albino Budgie (both hatched Nov '18 & gotcha'd late Jan of '19). And, summer 2021, 4 Baby Budgies!
Thank you very much for the news!!!!

You have a beautiful flock!! It has been my biggest challenge too, to let some of the babies go to another home....who knows if they will be well treated?

I think Tiny and Patchouli are not of the same sex, they will have different ceres. The more violet is the cere at that age the more likely the budgie is a male. The paler (blueish) the cere, the odds are for a female...
Well I kinda wish all the babies would be males... i think that would make life simpler! But other than that silliness, i do hope you're right, because if Tiny & Patchouli's ceres are not different, they will be identical.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Well I kinda wish all the babies would be males.
😬 I might be wrong as it is still early to determine their sex, but looking at the pictures I think Patchouli is the only male of the clutch.

Females can be very gentle, in fact some of my most affectionate budgies were females. If there is no nestbox, I hardly think any of them would become aggressive.

Males in the other hand, kind of have that never ending energy that sometimes can bother the other budgies, mostly if he is trying to convince her to mate (and they try all the time even without nestboxes).

:)

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Supporting Member
Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
I removed the nestbox Sunday. Monday was fine but Tuesday all Calliope would do, was hunt for the nestbox. And she was soo happy when I had first given it to her. So I had put it back up yesterday. She was happy, and she went back to being her recent relaxed self. I figured IF more eggs appear i will follow the discard-and-replace protocol.

But if three of the babies are female, obviously this will get more complicated. I guess I will have to take Calliope's box away, and go back to defending against holes being chewed in windowframes and everywhere else....

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Tuesday all Calliope would do, was hunt for the nestbox. And she was soo happy when I had first given it to her. So I had put it back up yesterday. She was happy,
That´s maybe the last critical phase of budgies reproduction. Yes, Calliope will love to have her nestbox back. That´s Calliope purpose as "mother nature" sees it, to breed. Her mindset and her hormones are still in this and will remain until she can no longer do it.

Reproduction has a high cost, even more for females. It accelerates metabolism and if done continuously it cost lifespan.

If Calliope can continue to have access to her nestbox, she will breed again with Jefferson. In this process she may turn so protective of her eggs that she can act aggressively toward Jefferson again and also toward the whole flock.

If you keep them apart but provide the nestbox, she will lay blank eggs that will cost her calcium and eventually health strength, including the possibility of egg binding.

I know she will be a little upset for not having the nestbox anymore for some time, but in my view it is for her best.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Supporting Member
Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
That´s maybe the last critical phase of budgies reproduction. Yes, Calliope will love to have her nestbox back. That´s Calliope purpose as "mother nature" sees it, to breed. Her mindset and her hormones are still in this and will remain until she can no longer do it.

Reproduction has a high cost, even more for females. It accelerates metabolism and if done continuously it cost lifespan.

If Calliope can continue to have access to her nestbox, she will breed again with Jefferson. In this process she may turn so protective of her eggs that she can act aggressively toward Jefferson again and also toward the whole flock.

If you keep them apart but provide the nestbox, she will lay blank eggs that will cost her calcium and eventually health strength, including the possibility of egg binding.

I know she will be a little upset for not having the nestbox anymore for some time, but in my view it is for her best.
Okay. I will remove it again. Poor Calliope. I think laying eggs and having teeny tiny babies is really the only thing she wants in life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts