Some People Just Don’t Get It!

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Some People Just Don’t Get It:

I have authored a few novels so when writing this story, it automatically began with my entire history of my interactions with animals and why they are so dear to me. But I decided it really wasn’t that important in getting my point across so will dispense with what many may feel as boring and irrelevant.
But suffice it to say that I have been an animal lover my whole life of 67 years. Many other members of my family of Cousins, Aunts and Uncles have also had their share of adoring pets so it was a real surprise to me on how they reacted to some recent events regarding my Pineapple Conure "Buddy".

As with every animal I have had in my life, I care for them as I would a member of the family. This includes a bit of spoiling them, especially when they need that extra attention due to…well…just for the helluva it.

Recently, Buddy and I moved to another state and about 3-4 hours from most of my family. After about a seven-month hiatus from them, I felt it time for a visit. Of course Buddy would accompany me so off we went on a four-day visit.
As I arrived to visit my elderly Aunt, I brought Buddy into her apartment and set him on the kitchen counter. She asked me how Buddy was doing and I replied that although the move was very difficult for the both of us (very long story) as it took over four months for us to finally get settled in our new house, I felt that although most parrots are sociable, he had become somewhat more needy than usual by always wanting my company and does not like being alone.
Her answer somewhat startled me as she commented, "Well that’s your fault since he’s just a bird…"
Wow! Really?! Out of respect for her I did not respond with attitude like I wanted too since I felt she should understand since her and my Uncle have had dogs for over sixty years.
Later that evening I was visiting my cousin who just happens to be the daughter of the above mentioned Aunt. And yes, Buddy was with me since we were going to be staying at her house for the next few days.
My cousin and I were conversing regarding my concern of me living alone hours away from family. I told her that my concern is really for Buddy since if something happened to me and am incapacitated, how would Buddy get his food?
Her reply led me to shock #2. She laughed and said, "He’s just a bird! Your ridiculous. If you die then he will just die also."
She also has had animals most of her life so I just don’t understand their remarks.
Later that day she was telling me how her daughter was going away on vacation and couldn’t take their cat. So my cousin agreed to have the cat come over her house for a few days to take care of it. She then gave me shock #3. She commented that during one of those days she needed to go overnight somewhere and who will feed the cat? Upon hearing this, I stood at attention as my obvious facetious reply was about to bellow out. And out it came, "Hey, you’re ridiculous. It’s only a cat!"
Some people just don’t get it…

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Some People Just Don’t Get It:

I have authored a few novels so when writing this story, it automatically began with my entire history of my interactions with animals and why they are so dear to me. But I decided it really wasn’t that important in getting my point across so will dispense with what many may feel as boring and irrelevant.
But suffice it to say that I have been an animal lover my whole life of 67 years. Many other members of my family of Cousins, Aunts and Uncles have also had their share of adoring pets so it was a real surprise to me on how they reacted to some recent events regarding my Pineapple Conure "Buddy".

As with every animal I have had in my life, I care for them as I would a member of the family. This includes a bit of spoiling them, especially when they need that extra attention due to…well…just for the helluva it.

Recently, Buddy and I moved to another state and about 3-4 hours from most of my family. After about a seven-month hiatus from them, I felt it time for a visit. Of course Buddy would accompany me so off we went on a four-day visit.
As I arrived to visit my elderly Aunt, I brought Buddy into her apartment and set him on the kitchen counter. She asked me how Buddy was doing and I replied that although the move was very difficult for the both of us (very long story) as it took over four months for us to finally get settled in our new house, I felt that although most parrots are sociable, he had become somewhat more needy than usual by always wanting my company and does not like being alone.
Her answer somewhat startled me as she commented, "Well that’s your fault since he’s just a bird…"
Wow! Really?! Out of respect for her I did not respond with attitude like I wanted too since I felt she should understand since her and my Uncle have had dogs for over sixty years.
Later that evening I was visiting my cousin who just happens to be the daughter of the above mentioned Aunt. And yes, Buddy was with me since we were going to be staying at her house for the next few days.
My cousin and I were conversing regarding my concern of me living alone hours away from family. I told her that my concern is really for Buddy since if something happened to me and am incapacitated, how would Buddy get his food?
Her reply led me to shock #2. She laughed and said, "He’s just a bird! Your ridiculous. If you die then he will just die also."
She also has had animals most of her life so I just don’t understand their remarks.
Later that day she was telling me how her daughter was going away on vacation and couldn’t take their cat. So my cousin agreed to have the cat come over her house for a few days to take care of it. She then gave me shock #3. She commented that during one of those days she needed to go overnight somewhere and who will feed the cat? Upon hearing this, I stood at attention as my obvious facetious reply was about to bellow out. And out it came, "Hey, you’re ridiculous. It’s only a cat!"
Some people just don’t get it…
Wow, this upsets me because it's so relatable!
Can't stand the 'Just a bird' comment like they are some how inferior to more common companions.
The proof that birds aren't 'dumb' is right in Alex the grey, I read Irene Pepperbergs books on him, though I don't love everything about the aspects of his treatment, I will say he was brilliant.
I'm certain every one on this forum has a degree of experience with this.
I get this also when people hear I have ball pythons, last Wednesday, someone at my church heard I have snakes and bellowed out ' The only good snake is a dead snake!' I understand snakes aren't very smart animals but they're very important for the eco system and trust me, we'd be in trouble with sky-rocketing rat and mouse populations.

Sorry, lol, I could tell stories all day of times like that, thanks for sharing, feels good to talk to like minded people about frustrating things like this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts