sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I've been reading all your pages on Amazons, Sailboat. I have a couple of questions...I have a 14 month old BF Amazon. I got him after he was weaned. Since I Brough him home he has slept on the perch I put on his door.....he always picks the perch closest to where he can see even though there is a perch higher and in the back....I guess if he is happy with that then its ok right? Also, this case is his main cage and stays in my office where I work all day but it's a sleep room at night, after work he is out on his tree in living room. He doesn't go into his cage a lot to play is that odd? right now he weighs 366 g's. He's been at this weight for a while now. He eats veggies, fruits, beans, eggs, pellets, other stuff I make that is bird healthy but he doesn't seem to be getting bigger....Is it just that he's still young? He sings, laughs, talks, jabbers all day so he seems happy.....LOL and when he's quiet I am concerned he's into something so I liked reading that part your wrote ....haha, like a 2 year old! I can feel his breast bone in the middle but it's not protruding but just seems like he should weigh more.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Does Finley fly? I got Amy when he was four months old,now going on thirty-one years :D He never learned to fly ( my fault for keeping him clipped because he was traveling with me in my Rig at the time) and he never learned to fly..I've been trying to teach him but he thinks our flap flap lessons are a game to him. Anyway,he just had a physical last week and weighed in at 540g's. His doctor said it's a good weight for a Blue Front,she says over 600g's is considered FAT. His porkiness is due (in my mind) from not flying.
Your Finley is still quite young.

Jim

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I have been keeping him clipped because any time he gets spooked or even mad at me he will take off flying so I clipped him ....

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Seen your question and I will be responding this afternoon as it has been a busy morning.

FYI: Always know that Amazons, Have More Fun (Messing with their staff peoples head)!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jim, can you post one of the pics with Amy and Salty together?

Sheryl, Salty is a smaller species of Amazon and he weighs 320gr vs Amy's 540gr. You can see the difference really well.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
From a weight stand point our Julio (DYHA) comes in at a light 500 grams, which is at the lighter end of the DYHA family that tops out at 700 grams.

We had a Blue-Fronted that was a hybrid (Yellow-Shoulder Amazon), which are commonly larger and heavier than most BFA's, He pulled in at 620 grams. Sadly he was never allowed to fly and he died far too young at 24... Cause of Death, Heart Failure!

IT IS MY OPINION: Parrots are designed to fly, their entire body and all of the organs are designed to support that one reality. Like Humans and our huge leg muscles, Parrot's huge Wing Muscles drive their heart and air sack development and if not allowed to fly can result in a much shorter life expectancy. Where as, Parrot allowed to fledge (fly at a young age) tend to live into their 60's (assuming a health diet).

It is my Strongest Recommendation that you allow your Amazon the ability to fly for at least six months of any given year (commonly the Winter months) to assure its full development and maintenance of their full flight system (muscles, heart and air sacks).

I'm not into shaming or anything like that what-so-ever. I make the statement above out of fifty years of Loving and Living with a very special set of Amazons, Amazons in the last year(s) of their life... Over the last twenty+ years, we have seen an extensive increase of very young Amazons suffering illnesses commonly defined only to very older Amazons. It is hard enough letting go of an Amazon that clearly enjoyed a long life. It is heart wrenching when they are little more than young adults...

Clearly, young Amazon wanting to be with family and whatever vantage point allows that is the chosen perch. Assure it is a diameter of size and never a dowel.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: Did you receive a "Hatch Certificate" when you purchased your CITES regulated, Endangered, Blue-Fronted Amazon??? If not you need to Make that Happen ASAP! A Hatch Certificate is a traveling document that like a Birth Certificate is a life long Document that any young (4 years and younger) Amazon in North America needs. It is created by the breeder and transfer to a pet store reseller) and then owner to owner after that point. The document includes the Species of both Parents, the date of Hatching, the contact information for the Breeder and the Contact information of the reseller! The true Breeders are also providing a DNA Sex Test results verifying either male or female. That information will be very important to your Avian Medical Professional as a known female can be quickly checked for Egg Binding! That time saved could make the difference of life and death of your Amazon.

If you got one (or when you get one) provide it to your Avian Medical Professional to include in your Amazon's Medical Files. They will make a copy for their file and return the original to you for longterm safe keeping.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sure can Al...here is a picture of Salty and Amy on a play date at my house.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 102

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
my birds don't go into their cage to play. So I have out of cage chew and toys spread around their out if cage perch areas.

Weight, do you offer some seeds? I have a study someplace in ornithology done on Amazon ( I think even blue front) diets, it found that pellets and veg wasn't enough and dome seed was needed.....i will look for it

Also feed some live culture yogurt with no artificial sweetners. Just to make sure all is balanced.

Ok found it!!! Yep Blue fronted Amazon , and yep needed some seeds
https://www.royalbirdcompany.com/diet research amazon parrots.htm

Last edited:
OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
wow, lots of great information here. I like the idea of allowing him to fly. Even though he's clipped he still flies, just not as high! LOL, he seems to just take off when he feels the urge!! lol....especially if he get irritated with me, he flies away from me.
AS far as the document/birth certificate....I got him from the breeder that raises different species of birds...she didn't give me any papers at all but I will ask her about this. She doesn't do the DNA test but tells people who get their birds that she will do the test if the person wants to pay for it....I did because I wanted to know.
I think I just need a bigger cage too for Finley but I will for sure look into better perches. thanks so much.

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
thanks so much...this is great info

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
They are gorgeous! My Finley doesn't look as big as that, I'd say he's in the middle size range of those too. He's only 1 year so I assume he will still grow some?? I'll get a good pic of him and get it posted here.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
wow, lots of great information here. I like the idea of allowing him to fly. Even though he's clipped he still flies, just not as high! LOL, he seems to just take off when he feels the urge!! lol....especially if he get irritated with me, he flies away from me.
AS far as the document/birth certificate....I got him from the breeder that raises different species of birds...she didn't give me any papers at all but I will ask her about this. She doesn't do the DNA test but tells people who get their birds that she will do the test if the person wants to pay for it....I did because I wanted to know.
I think I just need a bigger cage too for Finley but I will for sure look into better perches. thanks so much.

Based on your location, the likelihood of your BFA being Black Market is higher than other areas. BFA are listed as endangered and your breeder should have known that at some point, she would have to conform to CITES requirement. NOTE: How you approach asking will have an effect on how easy this will all happen.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
They are gorgeous! My Finley doesn't look as big as that, I'd say he's in the middle size range of those too. He's only 1 year so I assume he will still grow some?? I'll get a good pic of him and get it posted here.

Yup, pictures will help greatly. How much larger will be a factor of which segment of the BFA family your Amazon is a member of. Amy's species is from Northern plains of Argentina. That group is known for their coloration, large size and a major understanding, they have huge feet (claws). :D

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I got some better perches today. My BFA likes to sleep close to the door...not sure why....he just doesn't like the back of the cage....I had a rounded perch that he has done well with but after reading about what their perches should be like I went today and got a bigger, natural wood perch and put it on the door. It wasn't rounded so he did not like it when I put him to bed. I am guessing he will get use to it?? he is not in his cage much. I love getting all the info from you and others here. Thanks so much!

Most Reactions