Soon to be baby Green Cheek Conure parent...

tater

Sep 17, 2011
My husband has wanted an conure for some time. I told him he had to wait until he was done deploying :42:... After 22 years, he is! Now we are looking into breeders for a hand raised green cheek conure. He is actually going to an exotic bird show this weekend to seek out breeders and product in person.

:orange:Before we bring a new baby home, I have many questions & concerns.

1. I keep reading that they are extremely sensitive to fresheners, cleaners, Teflon... What about women wearing lotion, or who color their hair? Also, what about an air purifier in the room where the bird is kept?

2. We live in Florida with the frequent afternoon storm during the summer. Are they sensitive to thunder storms and lightning?

3. I read that people often take their bird outdoors. What is the temperature they should be kept at? Is it safe to take them outdoors? Is AC ok?

4. We have a 15 year old small dog. I am not afraid of him hurting the bird, but worried about him being afraid of the bird. What is the best way to introduce them?

5. My husband will be able to spend lots of quality time with the new addition. I on the other hand am away for 3-5 days at a time flying, but home 12+ days a month. Will I have any chance at a relationship with this bird? I know it will mainly bond to him, but I am looking forward to having it a part of the family as well.

6. Clicker training advice...;)

I'm sure I will have many more questions, but just not of the top of my head right now. Any other advice you have to offer would be great as well. Thank you all for your time and advice :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I will try to answer your questions:

1. All birds are sensitive to environmental scents. Teflon products can be fatal if heated to a certain temp. GCC are not powder down birds so you do not have to worry about feather dust.

2. Both of my birds are not upset when there is a thunder storm but I think this may depend on the bird.

3. If you take your bird outdoors it should be on a harness or inside a cage with supervision and not sit in the hot sun for a length of time. If you see the bird breathing with the beak open it usually means they are too hot.

4. GCC are able to get along with other animals in your home but you should be careful. My bird flew onto my cat and landed on her. She has been afraid of him since. Always keep an eye out when your bird is out of cage and your dog is near, for both of their safety.

6.. You will be able to bond/relationship with the bird but your husband will most likely be the preferred one just be cause he is there more. Hard to tell.

7. There are lots of good videos on youtube and books on clicker training.

Most Reactions

Latest posts