SOS! Trade a custom bird portrait for fashion help?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We all have our skills and talents and those things we are simply not adept at. For me, clothes/makeup/hair etc... are harder for me to figure out that quantum mechanics would be. I fully intend to use my art as a path to success and to build a career off this, but with so much to learn directly related to selling art and a story and all that, I need help with my appearance from someone who knows/cares about those things. I'll send 2 or 3 photos of what I currently look like in a PM. Here is what I need help with exactly so I'm being clear and up front:

-Curating a small capsule wardrobe (3-4 outfits, more general styles/colors that would look nice than individual pieces I can pick them out if I know what I'm looking for!) suitable for a professional artist to wear for social media photos, to networking events, meet ups and around to galleries when I present my work.

-Finding shoes that aren't high heels but still look nice. I'm 5'6 and very uncomfortable with my height. That said, I don't own 1 nice pair of shoes, not even halfway decent and I need to find some look that works and doesn't make me taller than everyone else.

-Finding a hair style that can work with very long, very straight, very plain hair. I've thought about cutting my hair to a more 'professional' length, but long hair is part of who I am and there is just no way I feel comfortable cutting it all off so I need to find a nice looking work-around.

- Advice on some kind of easy/quick to apply minimal makeup look, probably just a few products to highlight my eyes and lips or something... I do wear glasses, but plan to get new frames so maybe something that will tie into those...? I have pretty clear skin and also very very fair complexion (i.e. no foundation manufacturer makes "glow in the dark white" face makeup) and would never wear face makeup anyways, so no worries on teaching that skill set of applying face makeup. Really just need help with colors for eyes and lips.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I am a complete fashion disaster, so I am reaching out and willing to trade something within my skill set for your help- a custom portrait of your bird (or other pet of your choice) done in my signature style! Besides being a fashion-gifted person, I also need for you to have been a member on the forum for at least 3 months and have made contributions to the PF community. I'm looking to work with someone who is a contributing part of this wonderful community, not someone who signed up for an account to get a free portrait (sorry). If a whole bunch of you respond, I will ask for a neutral 3rd party (i.e. a member who is not involved in this) to choose one at random for me. I plan to give this post 10 days from today, so members who don't log in frequently have the chance to see it too. The winner will receive for their help:

-A digital file containing the un-watermarked version of your pets portrait that can be printed up to 16x20" in size without loosing quality

-Each portrait takes approximately 8-10 hours for me to draw. When I begin selling them, I plan to charge $20/hr, which I hope will be a fair exchange for the makeup and fashion advice I need

-Your pet's name, photo and portrait will be featured on my website, which I plan to launch towards the end of January next year (Being realistic here. I am currently working on my portfolio which requires 5-6 pieces of my top level work and an additional 20-30 pieces for a starter inventory for print sales, networking, learning the fundamentals of business and entrepreneurship, building a website and social media following etc... so it'll take a time before that website goes up).

An example of my work with my own handsome little guy:

21289d1535745006-finally-posting-my-art-my-favorite-model-dsc_9812.jpg

21290d1535752233-finally-posting-my-art-my-favorite-model-markedkiwiart.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm not allowed out of the house without Susan checking first. Sorry Not Me!

But, I would love a Portrait! See Business Opportunities are everywhere

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Probably in mid-late October, I want to do a limited pre-sale on the forum for portraits at a special rate so I can 'populate' the gallery on my site highlighting commission work and the people who've been so helpful in so many ways can get a nice portrait at a nice price. I hope you can be part of that because Mr. Julio would be a lovely amazonian addition to my portfolio:D

But I've been learning that in business, it's important to delegate things that are part of your vision but outside your skillset. Hence, needing some help in the appearances department so I don't look like a fool when I go to learn and network at these small business and entrepreneur meetups and around to other artists shows at local galleries etc... Between the actual generating the art and getting myself out there and my regular duties caring for our home, I'm going to be putting in 60-80 hour weeks for at least the next few months and very likely well into next year once I get a website and social media etc... in place promoting it. Very exhausting, no time to think about clothes and hair lol. Need a uniform to put on and go and willing to trade to not have to spend weeks figuring out my body shape and makeup colors lol. Somebody out there knows all about this stuff and loves everything about it. I know other girls really put a lot of time into learning all that, and I just don't have that time right now.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Well.. I'm very into fashion and know exactly what you mean with everything you're saying. My husband and I watch runway shows constantly and shopping is one of our favorite activities. I can probably help.
PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
What a great idea!!

I could try to help, no portrait necessary.(actually, I'd love to draw Kiw's portrait in my cartoon style) Feel free to send me a PM and I can work with you. I also have super long, thick as can be straight hair to my waist, I'm 5'9 so I totally feel you on the shoe thing and I love makeup about as much as my birds (don't tell ember or boo) and I work full-time so it's an everyday thing for me to get ready.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Move over here! Come live in the Netherlands.

You said:
"I'm 5'6 and very uncomfortable with my height. "
you are somewhat average here, nobody will notice you!
(I am 5,8-and-a-bit and I am not considered especially tall or short)

Also the dutch get voted "worst dressed people on the planet" almost every single time... so that is a bonus :)

Best of luck with the enterprise!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

You said:

Also the dutch get voted "worst dressed people on the planet" almost every single time... so that is a bonus :)

Lol. I'm something of a "mutt" with no clear cultural heritage but theres probably a little Northern European in me somewhere as I am very very fair skinned. Maybe my lack of fashion sense is inherited then?:D

None of the other women in my family are as tall as I am. My mom is like 5'2 (and my dad isn't particularly tall either and neither were my grandparents). Not sure why I'm tall or where it came from because no one else in my 100% biologically related family is. Fortunately my husband happens to be 6'2 so I don't feel as tall next to him!

Last edited:

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon

You said:

Lol. I'm something of a "mutt" with no clear cultural heritage but theres probably a little Northern European in me somewhere as I am very very fair skinned. Maybe my lack of fashion sense is inherited then?:D

None of the other women in my family are as tall as I am. My mom is like 5'2 (and my dad isn't particularly tall either and neither were my grandparents). Not sure why I'm tall or where it came from because no one else in my 100% biologically related family is. Fortunately my husband happens to be 6'2 so I don't feel as tall next to him!
I'm also about 5'8 and not considered especially tall where I am (Sweden)! I'm not considered short either but would not mind being taller. Whenever I visit Denmark I DO feel very short though - the average height in Denmark is 6 feet! :eek:

Sorry I can't help with your fashion emergency though (as an aid in visualization in just how little I know about fashion and looking presentable: I'm a girl with a completely shaved head/buzzcut who usually dresses in oversized t-shirts and ripped jeans... or baggy cargo pants and a crop top. I went to the polling station to vote in the Swedish election yesterday - wearing dirty old crocs and bird poopy sweatpants :D) - while I AM pretty good at eye makeup, my go-to look is a rusty red eyeshadow with a shimmery gold eyeliner - and I'm not entirely sure that's the kind of easy quick minimal makeup look you're going for :D ;)
I hope you get the help you need, and I really like your art style!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Have someone check you for bird poop before leaving house! I think black pants white dress shirt you can't go wrong! Hair sleek ponytail or loose bun, swipe on sone mascara, and Burt bees tinted lip balm and call it good! Let the art do the talking!!! I loveve your art!!! Best wishes!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This is a great idea. I am a 6'1" female lol (if that helps haha)
I actually rarely think about height, until someone says, "so I have to ask, did you play basketball?"

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Did you get the help you needed?

I have taste, both classic and artistic, and I am also exceptionally humble :22:

Ill help you; just say the word. No need of compensation; it'd be my pleasure :24:

GaleriaPetPortraits

Jun 23, 2018
Well, aren't WE a bunch?

I'm 5'10"+ and I DID play college basketball (scholarship), and I am not only a fashion disaster but a remorseless one. My poor GQ preppie husband (5'8") inspects ME (usually with no result) before *I* leave the house. "Ummmm, you're going to wear THAT?" is a phrase he has learned not to say.

We bird portraitists are something, aren't we? Actually, we're something ELSE!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I often wish I was a bird - no hassle with make-up, my immaculate feathery outfit always perfectly colour-coordinated, no "bad hair days", even feathers to cover up the wrinkles...
Bliss!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So strange this thread came up again today, as I got a couple photos this afternoon so I can start networking online. I have dabbled in photography semi-professionally for years and have a relatively good grasp of poses and composition, though I dislike being in front of a camera. I did actually have 2 members help with some advice regarding makeup/clothes/hair...(thank you both) and with that, I managed to pull together a couple outfits that look put together. I also has some minimal layers put in my hair and bought makeup. I'll wear these things when I am on 'work time' and need to be around other people looking my best. Otherwise, I have been putting an effort into wearing more 'fashionable' outfits running errands and don't mind nicer clothes, but makeup everyday...not so much my thing.

My husband took photos of me in front of the concrete retaining wall across the parking lot and it worked well as a backdrop. I'm not sure I have ever in my life looked more 'put together'. Now I have a few outfits and a profile photo and now I can move on to the next step!
attachment.php

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
You look rather intimidating to me -> in a great efficient and selfassured way!
Job well done (I am a wimp so intimidate easily!).

Is is awfully inapproriate to say you are a truely goodlooking lady?
(Just as an observation, not anything creepy/nasty I mean; since you are obviously not a parrot you are sooo not my type ;) )

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Kiwi sent an application into Yellow-Nape Law International, Inc. for his Mom to be his Personal Staff Person 'legally.' The picture was attached and the application was approved by Pricilla herself! Pricilla's only question was what area of Law have you studied in and /or have been working in? FYI: If a full size, white SUV shows up at your place with a Yellow-Nape driving, that be Pricilla! So, your Masters Degree is in Law and your PHD is in Wowing!?!?

I have always knew you had it together lady, clearly you have now proven it to yourself!!!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Looking good! Nice job on the makeup.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
So strange this thread came up again today, as I got a couple photos this afternoon so I can start networking online. I have dabbled in photography semi-professionally for years and have a relatively good grasp of poses and composition, though I dislike being in front of a camera. I did actually have 2 members help with some advice regarding makeup/clothes/hair...(thank you both) and with that, I managed to pull together a couple outfits that look put together. I also has some minimal layers put in my hair and bought makeup. I'll wear these things when I am on 'work time' and need to be around other people looking my best. Otherwise, I have been putting an effort into wearing more 'fashionable' outfits running errands and don't mind nicer clothes, but makeup everyday...not so much my thing.

My husband took photos of me in front of the concrete retaining wall across the parking lot and it worked well as a backdrop. I'm not sure I have ever in my life looked more 'put together'. Now I have a few outfits and a profile photo and now I can move on to the next step!
attachment.php

April, I won't pretend to know anything about ladies' fashion or the particulars of makeup and such, but I'm a guy with two eyes... for what that's worth. Your look in that photo is both professional and quite fetching to the eye, with just the right hint of enigmatic near-smile to spark curiosity about who you are. Very nice, my friend!

And with 2 sisters who are 5'7" & 5'9", and a wife who is 5' even, I don't see 5'6" as particularly tall or short... and certainly nothing to be uncomfortable about. (Just my two cents, as no one can tell anyone else what to feel self-conscious about, right? Lol!)

Also, LOVED the example of your art with Kiwi! And looking forward to seeing more in the future.

Most Reactions

Latest posts