Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, I've been wanting to ask about adding a sub-forum for birds with disabilities or illnesses/conditions. There's a surprisingly high amount of people with special needs birds(myself included!) so it'd be useful to have a sub-forum dedicated to helping disabled birds, where we can share tips, ask questions, and share our experience.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A Forum for Special Needs Parrots has merit. Currently, one would need to complete several specific internet searches to find a mixed bag of Posts, articles targeting this group. Having a single Forum for this group of Parrots (Members) is a great idea, which I fully support.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Great idea, @PippTheBananaBirb! My blind Sun Conure died of heart disease, but I made some very special accommodations for him. My Timneh has really bad osteoarthritis in one toe since before I got him, and he was a plucker. I have come to think of my two plucked (FDB) parrots as special needs, but I realize that already has a dedicated community here. It is just interesting to consider that a plucked parrot has special needs due to concerns of sunburn, mosquito bites, injuries due to lack of "feather armor", etc.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Great idea, @PippTheBananaBirb! My blind Sun Conure died of heart disease, but I made some very special accommodations for him. My Timneh has really bad osteoarthritis in one toe since before I got him, and he was a plucker. I have come to think of my two plucked (FDB) parrots as special needs, but I realize that already has a dedicated community here. It is just interesting to consider that a plucked parrot has special needs due to concerns of sunburn, mosquito bites, injuries due to lack of "feather armor", etc.
Or Cold weather, or dry skin, or skin that doesn’t function well due to damage and needs careful management.

Pain management for parrots with arthritis secondary to past fractures is important. It’s too bad there’s no real “physical therapy” for parrots, but they may like massage and warmth.

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sunny has diabetes and struggles to fly(both are common issues in show budgies, unfortunately).

Snowy has a foot disability, where her feet are a bit skew. It doesn't significantly impact her life, but she once had a small infection on her foot that went away by itself. She also has a weird issue where she will randomly vomit, sneeze, and struggle to breathe. I got medicine from my vet, and it seems to help a bit, as the episodes are less severe and happens less.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I think a "Special Needs" forum is a good idea too. I remember how shocked i was to find that my Fang the cockatiel has a chronic heart arrhythmia and would need medicating every day for the rest of his life - it's been over 3 years now since he was diagnosed and happily he is doing very well. I think a sub-forum where others could find encouragement and support would be a good thing :)

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I remember how shocked i was to find that my Fang the cockatiel has a chronic heart arrhythmia and would need medicating every day for the rest of his life - it's been over 3 years now since he was diagnosed and happily he is doing very well.

[Significance of magnesium in cardiac arrhythmias]

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thanks so much to BirdyBee for suggesting this, the new forum can be found here:

Special Needs Parrots

This was a wonderful idea, thank you to all who commented, as well.

This thread is now closed to prevent any confusion:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions