Specific Eckie Rehab Questions

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Dani, I'm so glad you're going to be turning things around for those two ekkies. With your experience and the fact that you're being so thorough about learning all of their needs, I'm sure they'll both be looking like new birds in a few months.

You've already received some great advice, so I'll just add a few little things. For one, since the Land of Vos site is no longer available, I figured I'd give you the link to what has always been my go to site for ekkie diets: fruitandveg

There you'll find tons of infoon the best foods for them. Make sure to check out all of the sections. They break down the specific nutritional benefits of fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes, grains, seeds, herbs, sprouts etc! Very helpful!

As for toys, keep in mind that you want to use softer woods. Ekkies just tend to enjoy the softer woods more than the harder ones. (Well, Maya would gnaw on titanium, but she's something of an exception. Lol!)

Hmmm, let's see... oh! Unlike most parrots, ekkies tend not to like when you pet them against the grain. So the scritching type motion that you would use with other fids is out. Their feathers just interconnect differently, which makes against the grain petting somewhat irritating.

Now, some ekkies don't really like being petted at all. But the 3 I've had all enjoy it... when done in the right direction.

Lastly, here is what I currently feed Maya and Jolly: (6-8 types per feeding) various sprouts, carrots, bell peppers (red, yellow, orange and green), jalapeno peppers, Jamaican peppers, chili peppers, squash (butternut, green and yellow),pumpkin, blueberries, pomegranates, snap peas, broccoli, cactus pears, starfruit, bananas, grapes, kale, turnips, radishes, brown rice, quinoa, cucumbers, endive, dandelion, sweet potato (cooked), red swiss chard, granny smith apples, papaya, African horned melon, corn, hominy, oatmeal (sans sugar or flavoring), kiwi, barley, calendula flowers, anise, star anise, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, elder berries, rose hips, hibiscus, bee pollen, chocho beans and garbanzo beans, as well as Volkman's Fancy Soak and Simmer for the majority of his legumes and grains.

Once or twice a month, I'll give some hard-boiled egg (with the crushed shell for calcium). Slightly more frequently during a molt. And an assortment of unsalted nuts or even millet spray for their treats.

Hope this all helps! And I'm looking forward to pics!

Most Reactions