Spoked Goffin -What do I do?

MeAndMyG2

Sep 23, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo "JaiJai" aka "PrettyBoy"
Hello friends:
Last Friday my Goffin was playing on the couch, when all of a sudden he flew down to the floor and started racing around, which got my dog stirred up. He would not come to me when i tried to rescue him, just continued to run away from me, but finally ended up in my bedroom hiding under the bed for a while until I finally caught him. He bit the heck out of my fingers for he was very scared. I placed him on his cage for the night and all was quiet for the night.

The next day he won't let me touch him and as I stood by his cage he nervously climbed all over his cage trying to get away from me. I left him alone for the rest of Saturday and Sunday and by Sunday night he still wanted nothing to do with me. I covered half of his cage with a sheet for Sunday night and left it the same for all day Monday. When I got home this evening, there was no change. I even tried to offer him his favourite treat, but not luck. He swung his toy at me!

My heart is breaking!!! I don't understand why all of a sudden this happened. I know that this has Spoked him very much, but will I ever have his trust again. I miss him in my arms - he is my little baby! PLEASE advise me what to do and what not to do, so that things hopefully get better. Has this sort of thing ever happen to any of you other Cockatoo owners? I am forever gonna be this Big Bad Monster that my little guy see me as. :(

Your friend,
Vee

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you're too may have associated whatever spooked him with you, so has become afraid of you.

Hopefully, he'll settle down within a week or two but if not, you may need to treat him like a second hand bird and go back to basics!

One thing you don't do with a spooked bird is grab at them. Especially when he's underneath your bed. He feels threatened and you proved his point by grabbing him. Next time use a perch. How long have you had him? With birds that are attached to you, they usually forgive you pretty quick. Like my macaw got spooked two nights ago but he flew towards me and landed on top of me and he tuck his head under my chin so I knew he was scared by something. He's only flew 3 times since I've had him the past 8+ years and all 3 times he flew towards me for protection. All my other birds would fly off their play stands IF I left the room too long and they would come looking for me.

So like Monica mentioned, you probably need to start from the basic once again and let your Cockatoo to learn to trust you again. You should try to perch train your Cockatoo cause they can be skittish towards foreign objects such as a perch. Try to get him off his cage right now would be a good thing. As the time progresses it can get harder to get him off his cage if he's going to be aggressive towards you when your trying to get him off his cage.

Most Reactions

Back