staphylococcus aureus

maddiex3

Aug 3, 2021
Hello everyone

I have a male indian ringneck (2years and 4 months old), who got diagnosed two months ago with staphylococcus aureus.
It all started last winter with his right foot who was constantly itchy and he was picking on the skin (hurting himself and causing wounds). The vet got a sample from that area, did tests and the conclusion was that he has a staphylococcus aureus infection. Apparently my bird got this staph from another bird that was on oral antibiotics (probably from my parents parrot, indirectly from me or my mom).
The vet gave me 3 syringes with vitamins and a substance (didn't tell, prbably an antibiotic?), and i was supposed to give my bird a few ml twice a day.
I don't want to look as a bad owner, i had birds my entire life, but this parrot can't be forced into receiving anything in the beak. I can't catch him and hold him still, he is very scared and after two attempts i knew i didn't want to traumatize him (especially because it was a treatment that was for 14-16 days) so i just gave him local treatment (Baneocin powder and Betadine). There are days when the leg is better and then he is picking on the skin again... and i know local treatment doesn't necessarly get rid of this staph.
My issue is, if untreated, staphylococcus can lead to other complications in organs or in his body?
And aren't other alternatives for treaments? something soluble that can be put in water? or anything? - this vet is the only one in my small town that knows birds, but he is so arrogant and hard to talk with...

Thank you

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Staphylococcus aureus infections potentially spread to organs and can be deadly. That is why vet prescribed topical and oral meds, hopefully including antibiotic. Is the vet avian certified or equivalent? Regardless, you are entitled to full accounting of diagnosis and all aspects of treatment.

Administering oral substances often a trying experience! Most meds can be combined with desired foods to enhance delivery, but verify with vet. Parrots often devour cooked room-temperature oatmeal, other soft cereals, and low-sodium/sugar baby food. Trick is to mix smallest amount with meds on teaspoon or similar to ensure complete dosing. Others use bits of toasted bread to absorb, infusing in piece of NutriBerry, etc.

A problem with mixing in water is poor likelihood of correct dosing. Many birds pollute water with food, further degrading efficacy of therapy. If your IRN absolutely refuses oral meds, alternative is injection, either pre-loaded syringes at home or at vet office. Some diseases can be treated with long-acting antibiotics given every week or so.

Full circle, this is why vet communication skills are crucial! If unapproachable, may have to cast wider net for second opinion. Good luck, keep us updated!

Informative article about staph:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/staphylococcosis/staphylococcosis-in-poultry

OP
M

maddiex3

Aug 3, 2021
Thank you for your response!
Unfortunately i tried mixing the treatment with baby parrots formula and bread, but i think it doesnt taste good because after one tiny bit my bird was rejecting it...

I will try my best to find another vet, this one isnt a good fit for us

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Finding a more informative and compassionate vet may prove helpful. Meanwhile, would not hurt to experiment with other distractions with distinct flavors such as baby food.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
My bird had something similar if not this and she’s not the friendliest I wrapped her in Tshirt and put in the corner of her mouth with a syringe and and rinsed it out with water. She was on a pretty potent antibiotic. Wishing your bird well!

Most Reactions

Latest posts