Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
I was wondering if anyone has had a stargazer, well not exactly, SOMETIMES it's head goes back nearly on it's back (wry neck ?) but no twirling etc in a parrot peep? I DO NOT OWN THIS BIRD but was next in line for this one. I am trying to help so I know whether or not to get the baby if it can be helped. I know selenium and vitamin E can be helpful and this does not have to be permanent, or so I read. Does anyone have experience to share? I hate to see the baby put down but unfortunately it is not my call. The peep is pushing 5 weeks old. I saw it the first time today. The neck is splinted but I worry splinting it will weaken the muscles. I am only looking for advice that may help. It's not mine, I do not plan to ever breed birds. So, please, I've waited a very long time for this peep- no lectures, it is not mine but I was hoping to help make it mine.

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey there!

I canā€™t help you as I have no experience with this sort of thing but this is will send your thread to the top of the list where, hopefully, you may receive more input!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
At 2 weeks old I would say itā€™s too soon to know if the problem is correctable or not.
I am no expert.

One of my Cockatiels (Lady) had what I think was stargazing.
Her head was stuck at about a 40 degree angle sideways but that was not her only symptom.
difficulty perching.
spasmodic movement of the head when eating/drinking.
Could only walk around in circles.
I couldnā€™t bear to watch her suffer so I had her put to sleep.

At 2 weeks I donā€™t think you can tell what other symptoms there may be.

OP
Grayway

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
At 2 weeks old I would say itā€™s too soon to know if the problem is correctable or not.
I am no expert.

One of my Cockatiels (Lady) had what I think was stargazing.
Her head was stuck at about a 40 degree angle sideways but that was not her only symptom.
difficulty perching.
spasmodic movement of the head when eating/drinking.
Could only walk around in circles.
I couldnā€™t bear to watch her suffer so I had her put to sleep.

At 2 weeks I donā€™t think you can tell what other symptoms there may be.
I apologize, I was wrong in writing 2 weeks, the peep is 5 weeks. I was only at the lady's house about an hour so my assessment is based more on what I am told. This is a reputable person with many years of experience. The baby is active/squirmy even, super alert, eats like a horse (I got to hand feeding him/her) I did not notice any uncoordinated movements. I did not see the neck lay back as it is splinted so I am just looking for info so I know what to think. Hope this all makes sense. I am a bit heartsick. I suppose I am looking for hope

OP
Grayway

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
Hey there!

I canā€™t help you as I have no experience with this sort of thing but this is will send your thread to the top of the list where, hopefully, you may receive more input!
Thank you very much

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Did the breeder specifically say the baby was suffering from stargazing?

It sounds to me like itā€™s a birth defect or an injury that occurred in the nest at a very young age.
I donā€™t think you can ā€œcureā€ stargazing with a splint/brace.
Just my gut feeling,, I repeat that I am no expert.

I have heard about splints on young chicks with splayed legs and toes that got bent the wrong way.
Thats more what this sounds like.
If so I should think the chances of the baby recovering are good.
again, just my opinion donā€™t take it to the bank.

OP
Grayway

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
No, she didn't say that. I was researching and a wry neck may be the better term, but these are just terms not diagnosis. The only symptom she said was that the baby throws his head way back to at times (nearly touching the back) it is, as I understand, not a permanent position. The proven parents have never had an issue before. The baby acted normally for the short time I was there. Hope it's the vitamin deficiency and not an injury. Lord, I waited so long for my Timneh. I am feeling discouraged. I was just bouncing it off the group to see if there was any experienced people. I deeply appreciate your take, it helps.

Last edited:

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I'd be concerned if it's actually something neurological. If a vitamin deficiency is suspected has any treatment been given yet? Has he been seen by a vet at all??

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
A local breeder here had a lovebird with wry neck/stargazing. It recovered with a lot of supplemental care. It may help to research the condition in poultry, as it is much more common there.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Do you have a Certified Avian Vet you plan on using? I would ask them about it.
If you don't, try to find one you will use in the future and ask. If not let me know, I have a very good relationship with my CAV, she is great, I can ask her about the condition. But honestly, and this might seem harsh, Greys are not cheap - I would pass on this chick.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
A local breeder here had a lovebird with wry neck/stargazing. It recovered with a lot of supplemental care. It may help to research the condition in poultry, as it is much more common there.
As a poultry keeper for a couple decades, I can say that this certainly does crop up in chickens, usually very tiny chicks. I treated one just several weeks ago. I can tell you what I know based on chickens, but keep in mind I do not know if all or any of this applies to parrots. Wry neck (sometimes accompanied by curled toes as with my recent chick) is usually caused by a deficiency in selenium and vit E. When seen in chicks, this often means that the mother was lacking these vitamins/ minerals. So other issues can also occur simultaneously. My chick also had eye problems ( one eye is underdeveloped and blind) and a cross beak. This chick was given to me so I donā€™t know the genetics (which can also contribute). Treating with supplements usually does fix the problem. My chick showed signs of improvement within two days and within a week, there was no sign of the crooked toes and neck. I supplemented for several weeks afterwards but at this point I am not and you would never know that this chick couldnā€™t even walk when I got it. If it is wry neck due to a selenium and vit E deficiency, it will only be fixed with supplements, the neck brace alone will not help, and the sooner those are started the greater the likelihood of the problem correcting itself. I did not do any splinting with my chick as the issue was not severe enough to hinder eating and drinking. It corrected with only supplementation. If no improvement is seen within a few weeks despite supplementation, I would definitely wonder if thereā€™s something else going on. But again, my experience with this is based on CHICKENS not PARROTS.

OP
Grayway

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
Thanks to all here, this is such a disappointing situation. I sincerely appreciate all the input. I did find a certified avian vet, I have offered to pay for the visit so I can be informed one way or another.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thanks to all here, this is such a disappointing situation. I sincerely appreciate all the input. I did find a certified avian vet, I have offered to pay for the visit so I can be informed one way or another.
I hope you can get a good report from the vet Grayway! I can tell you already live this little baby and it must be tough šŸ˜•.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I hope you can get a good report from the vet Grayway! I can tell you already live this little baby and it must be tough šŸ˜•.
Sorry, I meant *Love* not live! šŸ™„.

InsomniacMom

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Henry
I was wondering if anyone has had a stargazer, well not exactly, SOMETIMES it's head goes back nearly on it's back (wry neck ?) but no twirling etc in a parrot peep? I DO NOT OWN THIS BIRD but was next in line for this one. I am trying to help so I know whether or not to get the baby if it can be helped. I know selenium and vitamin E can be helpful and this does not have to be permanent, or so I read. Does anyone have experience to share? I hate to see the baby put down but unfortunately it is not my call. The peep is pushing 5 weeks old. I saw it the first time today. The neck is splinted but I worry splinting it will weaken the muscles. I am only looking for advice that may help. It's not mine, I do not plan to ever breed birds. So, please, I've waited a very long time for this peep- no lectures, it is not mine but I was hoping to help make it mine.
I have a friend on TikTok that has a stargazer Amazon named Oreo. Oreo is 19 years old and was born with it. Oreo is the perfect companion for my friend @ZackeryHurtz on TikTok. He is totally blind. The bird is not a guide pet but a wonderful friend. They have grown up together and have a beautiful friendship. You should check them out. If you don't do TikTok, he also has a YouTube and Spotify account. They are both the same name.

OP
Grayway

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
I have a friend on TikTok that has a stargazer Amazon named Oreo. Oreo is 19 years old and was born with it. Oreo is the perfect companion for my friend @ZackeryHurtz on TikTok. He is totally blind. The bird is not a guide pet but a wonderful friend. They have grown up together and have a beautiful friendship. You should check them out. If you don't do TikTok, he also has a YouTube and Spotify account. They are both the same name.
Gladly!!! Thank you!

OP
Grayway

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
I
I decided to update everyone on the stargazing baby Timneh. I decided to risk getting her and give her everything I had to help her. This is Hannah. She rarely stargazes now will only do it when she is very tired. She eats and drinks normally. I did 3x a day neck messages, tried vitamins and selenium (no effect) a neck splint full time for week one- nightly thereafter for several weeks. She has tons of toys and floor time to help strengthen her. We had a short bout of weight loss due to upper respiratory infection but she has now returned to normal weight. I would like to thank everyone who offered advice. I am glad I took the risk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 23

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I

I decided to update everyone on the stargazing baby Timneh. I decided to risk getting her and give her everything I had to help her. This is Hannah. She rarely stargazes now will only do it when she is very tired. She eats and drinks normally. I did 3x a day neck messages, tried vitamins and selenium (no effect) a neck splint full time for week one- nightly thereafter for several weeks. She has tons of toys and floor time to help strengthen her. We had a short bout of weight loss due to upper respiratory infection but she has now returned to normal weight. I would like to thank everyone who offered advice. I am glad I took the risk.
So cute!!! Thanks for updating us and best of luck with your beautiful new baby! Clearly she is going to have the best life with you!

Most Reactions