Starting my own garden

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
(I hope this is okay in this section, if not let me know I can re-post it elsewhere and delete this one)

So I decided to start my own garden a few days ago so I could grow fresh herbs and flowers for the birds. I want to expand to vegetables at some point but I don't really know what I'm doing so going to start easy and something I could reasonably do indoors.

Right now I have; chamomile, kale, oregano, sage, rosemary, thyme, mint and parsley. I also thought it would be cool if I grew some wheat grass in a separate tub and put a plastic mesh over it that the grass could go through and Apollo could pick and forage around it without digging through the dirt and making a mess and possibly nesting.

Today my kale, chamomile, and oregano starting sprouting and I'm super excited. However one pod of the kale seems to have a white fuzz on it and I read that that is a fungus from over watering a seedling and will go away if I don't water it too much, from my understanding it would still be safe for human consumption but would it be okay for the birds?

20190506_133524.jpg

20190505_204214.jpg

And the soil I am using:
20190506_132118.jpg

Some of the sprouts, including the fuzz on the kale.
20190508_105802.jpg

20190508_105752.jpg

20190508_105755.jpg

edit: Not sure why the images rotated... oops :/
edit 2: fixed images and uploaded more.

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Do you plan to feed as sprouts or grown plants? I think that would make a difference for if the fuzzy one is bird safe.

And fuun! Once I can walk around we are going to do lots of gardening on the farm. We want to try and produce most of the food for ourselves and for our animals(not just the birds). I ordered a bunch of seeds over winter before breaking my foot, and we even started some, but they are still in seedling cups under a grow light since I cannot reliably go outside every day yet, and Mr. Bug has enough on his plate without adding a garden to his list of chores.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'll be feeding the grown plants, not the sprouts. Sprouts I would do in a jar.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I would think it would be fine then, especially if you wash the veg before feeding out. :)

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
20190510_102812.jpg

Progress! The chamomile and kale is growing so fast. The oregano has a teeeeeny tiny sprout. You can't even see it in the picture, you have to look reeeaally close in person. Some of the others have seeds starting to sprout.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I envy you.... I live on kind of a hill and the previous owners put a shed right at the bbest garden spot where it levels out...I'm thinking about burning it to the ground...I can't like drag it off.....

what about peppers?

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I might try peppers later on! Let's see how this goes first. I definitely want to move into veggies at some point. Like squash an peppers and broccoli

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I've actually read that broccoli does really good as an indoor veggie because it can grow well in low light so that might be a good one to try. If you want a good pepper to do indoors, as long as you have a window with good light, like a southern facing window, small chili peppers can do well in pots indoors.

Even outdoors, I think chili peppers are much more fun to grow than sweet peppers because the plants tend to yield a lot more fruit than their sweeter counterparts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
And you can dry peppers super easy too to use as a spice for yourself or mixed into winter fresh meals for your fids. :)

Do you have a light on those sprouts? Some look like they are reaching for light. Don't bother with expensive "grow lights" that also make you look like a pot head(lol). We just went to Lowe's and got a couple of flourescent fixtures to put over our seed starting trays. Muuuch cheaper, and without all the weird looks, LOL

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
yeah they're reaching towards the window they're sitting near. I can see about getting a light for above them

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Ordered some dandelion seeds to add in somewhere. Maybe into the wheatgrass tub? The kale is still growing super fast and I think it's time I replant it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Looking great!

I am banned from growing vegetables because I am a serial plant killer. Absolutely no skill or luck! :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts