Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
So, I have a problem with Paprika... She has her cage. It’s nice and big. 32x60x32, with many different perches (wood, concrete, rope, a boing, etc.) with varying diameters to make sure she gets exercise for her feet.

She originally would stay on her main wood (real branch , not a dowel) but move very cautiously. She needed to be shown where water bowl is, and would move around a little. She would slowly go up and down on the boing. Typical baby learning to perch stuff.

She is much more confident now moving around... except... after she is in the cage for a while, she will jump down to the bottom of the cage and pace back and forth. She doesn’t try to climb up. She will pace and pace. Then stops and will just jibber jabber down there and fall asleep. I keep putting her back up but she goes back down there.

I think she doesn’t want to be alone, because if I put her on my T stand, she will stay up there. But she can’t be out all the time because when I need to go to the store or pick kids up from school. So I feel maybe I spoiled her but I need to fix it. Or is it something that will change over time ?

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This makes me think perch diameter is off, or she is hormonal (but too young to be) or that something is wrong medically.

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.
Kise does has this falling (a lot) from perch in her cage when she was few months old. The son of the breeder has told me that he has to pick her up and put her back to the perch. I did saw it happen onetime when I was visiting her.

The fall was that the perch was a little too big for her I think.. this was when she was still at at the breeder before she ready to go home.

This was her cage I have set-up for her while she was there.

I didn't use this cage after she has been home.

ACtC-3diDurK1P5NI6WXkTuANxIFiAXltWDhNusfbqC-kWkoXRo8nXIT_FRqiw81zDoZVCgzXWUjSZiY7KKkKyIRUa2_CZTWsGkjKVZ66yG9IYUXViEJ5whP8_DT9s6o_Iojd5bwEW9Wopzk8d2ARxrYhTWHYA=w1620-h1080-no

We stood right next to her cage.

ACtC-3dmr4dY-QksIfffohzRk7j19TfVJhVF_pUJgL43Rhqv5HkgSzE-rF3l-u9gwZElBvUIkJNkdNDyurDeA-43bhDbfH9P3L8dEX-HXr65DNqpCF_7byJgUygnVC7drCwTQP4vZXP11E4lEhrQeIoeCTofQQ=w1620-h1080-no

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
This makes me think perch diameter is off, or she is hormonal (but too young to be) or that something is wrong medically.

She is not falling. I will send pics of diameters but all are the appropriate size for an eclectus foot. Basil can move around in the cage without a problem. She is literally at times seeing me and the flying to the side of the cage. She goes down the bottom then and does the pacing.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

She is not falling. I will send pics of diameters but all are the appropriate size for an eclectus foot. Basil can move around in the cage without a problem. She is literally at times seeing me and the flying to the side of the cage. She goes down the bottom then and does the pacing.

If she is only doing it when you are around etc, that is different than sleeping there etc. I may have misunderstood.

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Yeah she doesn’t go down there just to sleep. It seems she does it as a temper tantrum. I left her alone for a few hours today and she went back up herself and was eating. So I think it’s a way of her saying “Daddy let me out!”

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Just to give you all an update. Now she’s a little bit older and more confident with her feet, she goes down there when she is having a tantrum about wanting to come out of the cage. If I don’t let her out and just leave her be, she now just climbs back up to her normal perches and acts completely normal.

So, I guess I am just worried for nada.

Most Reactions