Stormy frequently looks like he's regurgitating, but nothing comes out?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Stormy will frequently move his head and neck like he's regurgitating but nothing will come out. He also doesn't only do it when he's in 'the mood', he does it randomly at least 4 times a day, not including when he's getting hormonal. I will see the vet as soon as I can, but Picasso is on meds right now, and I'm worried things will get too expensive. Anything you think it might be? I have some ideas, including a small fiber in his throat that's irritating him, bacterial infection in his throat/crop, etc.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Is it like he's stretching his neck upwards and looks like he's yawning? Might he just be adjusting his crop?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Is it like he's stretching his neck upwards and looks like he's yawning? Might he just be adjusting his crop?
Not yawning. It looks like a male budgie feeling 'sexy' and regurgitating to a perch or toy after singing, except he does it randomly.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Not "yawning" as such, but crop adjustment can look like they're yawning. Are you able to get a video?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I can't get a vid right now, but I swear, it is just like mate feeding except randomly. On the ground, right after flying, etc.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird does this a lot when he's settling in for a nap, or just before or after he romances a favorite toy... sometimes I think he does it in his sleep (dreaming?).
Stoll, better safe than sorry. I'd ask your vet, for sure.
I know, expenses can get scary.
I personally had to sell a kidney.
Sorry1

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
it can be normal
Or a sign of crop irration.. or infection
I hate saying this stuff knowing it can freak you out..

But one of my budgies with chlamydiaosis did this. But he did it often and nit as a sexy thing. He would also scratch his throat with his foot because it was inflamed. I was able to towel shine light in and see that....but its not easy or recommended..if you haven't seen a lot of bird throats it won't mean anything to you. I also shared a pic with vet

But most likely if its like you see with sexy time , then its just behavioral. My budgies also do behavioral regurgitating to each other, or start to do but don't actually bring stuff up either.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
The Rickeybird does this a lot when he's settling in for a nap, or just before or after he romances a favorite toy... sometimes I think he does it in his sleep (dreaming?).
Stoll, better safe than sorry. I'd ask your vet, for sure.
I know, expenses can get scary.
I personally had to sell a kidney.
Sorry1
Thank you!
it can be normal
Or a sign of crop irration.. or infection
I hate saying this stuff knowing it can freak you out..

But one of my budgies with chlamydiaosis did this. But he did it often and nit as a sexy thing. He would also scratch his throat with his foot because it was inflamed. I was able to towel shine light in and see that....but its not easy or recommended..if you haven't seen a lot of bird throats it won't mean anything to you. I also shared a pic with vet

But most likely if its like you see with sexy time , then its just behavioral. My budgies also do behavioral regurgitating to each other, or start to do but don't actually bring stuff up either.
I'm not easily freaked out...
I've delt with many situations in my short couple years of rescuing and rehabing pets and a couple wild animals that many can not even comprehend, let alone experience, so most scary animal situations are things I deal with on the daily (not kidding, I have Picasso and a severely inbred, disabled goldfish to deal with at the moment (he's far from my worst case), and I take in animals like him almost weekly). Thank you for your concern, and this was quite helpful!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
It wasn't a slight. I rescue critters to, I can be strong when needed , but I also freak out because I care so very much it hurts when they are hurting
Yes, same. When Picasso aspirated half a drop of meds, I freaked out. My little girl! And today, I spilled a tank with that disabled fish in it. I don't even know how I was able to spill it, but he's fine, all is well!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Is he doing this when he is agitated over something?

Reason I ask, Salty does something like this, but only during our training session and only when its time to practice putting his harness on. Kinda like an open mouthed back and forth head bobbing. He hates putting his harness on and only does it when I insist. I think it is almost like he is upset so much he gets like heartburn? Never does this any other time.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Is he doing this when he is agitated over something?

Reason I ask, Salty does something like this, but only during our training session and only when its time to practice putting his harness on. Kinda like an open mouthed back and forth head bobbing. He hates putting his harness on and only does it when I insist. I think it is almost like he is upset so much he gets like heartburn? Never does this any other time.
I don't know, I've never paid much attention to his general body language when he's doing it, and I've never looked for 'triggers'. Good idea!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Often times when birds are just regurgitating for fun nothing will come out, they’re just excited. That’s normal. It looks like they pump or bob their heads and bring stuff up into their mouth but then they swallow. I have actually seen food in the mouth sometimes.

It’s gross but I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Often times when birds are just regurgitating for fun nothing will come out, they’re just excited. That’s normal. It looks like they pump or bob their heads and bring stuff up into their mouth but then they swallow. I have actually seen good in the mouth sometimes.

It’s gross but I don’t think it’s a big deal.
I don't think it's gross...
It's kinda normal for them.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My roommate was horrified when Lucy brought up a green pea for him even though it was clearly a compliment and gift to an adored person. It doesn’t bother me either but some people think regurgitation by a parrot means β€œvomit” rather than β€œsoft moistened food from the bird’s crop.”

I know, as someone already messaged, that regurging happens more when a parrot is excited. Being Keyed up about anything will yield this stimulated state more quickly. A bird would possibly vocally alarm more quickly, stress poop sooner, fly away quicker, if already excited. It’s just a sign of excitement not breeding behavior, sexuality, etc.

Since you understand that the bird is regurging, you know they don’t always expel food. Sometimes it’s a display or preparation or whatever.

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
My roommate was horrified when Lucy brought up a green pea for him even though it was clearly a compliment and gift to an adored person. It doesn’t bother me either but some people think regurgitation by a parrot means β€œvomit” rather than β€œsoft moistened food from the bird’s crop.”

I know, as someone already messaged, that regurging happens more when a parrot is excited. Being Keyed up about anything will yield this stimulated state more quickly. A bird would possibly vocally alarm more quickly, stress poop sooner, fly away quicker, if already excited. It’s just a sign of excitement not breeding behavior, sexuality, etc.

Since you understand that the bird is regurging, you know they don’t always expel food. Sometimes it’s a display or preparation or whatever.
It's usually after eating treats, training, or flying, so I think he's just really happy!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That makes sense!! Also, he’s got more food in his crop. It’s easier to bring up then, than if there’s just a tiny bit of food. Would need stronger more vigorous regurgitation if he only had a tiny bit of food in his crop.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
That makes sense!! Also, he’s got more food in his crop. It’s easier to bring up then, than if there’s just a tiny bit of food. Would need stronger more vigorous regurgitation if he only had a tiny bit of food in his crop.
Yup, he doesn't usually bring stuff up, though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts