Strange Behavior

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Hello all!
I'm seeing a couple of behaviors in my Quaker that I'm wondering about:

1) When she gets excited, she head butts things! She'll stretch out her neck and bob her head up and down to bonk what's in front of her, sometimes an object, but most of the time it's either me or my partner. I've seen her do it the most with him and we have no idea why!

2) Sometimes when she's on my shoulder before bed, she'll puff her feathers all the way out, step back and forth, open her beak, and breathe rapidly. This seems like a hormonal behavior to me but she isn't set to hit puberty for a couple more months. although she could be starting early. I'm more concerned about this one.

Any insight into either behavior is much appreciated. :)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello all!
I'm seeing a couple of behaviors in my Quaker that I'm wondering about:

1) When she gets excited, she head butts things! She'll stretch out her neck and bob her head up and down to bonk what's in front of her, sometimes an object, but most of the time it's either me or my partner. I've seen her do it the most with him and we have no idea why!

2) Sometimes when she's on my shoulder before bed, she'll puff her feathers all the way out, step back and forth, open her beak, and breathe rapidly. This seems like a hormonal behavior to me but she isn't set to hit puberty for a couple more months. although she could be starting early. I'm more concerned about this one.

Any insight into either behavior is much appreciated. :)
The first one sounds like excitement, the second sounds just like what my male Quaker Tony does when he's being hormonal.
When he acts like that I avoid eye contact as it seems to prolong it.

One second thought, the first behavior could be her regurgitating or trying to anyways.
When my Quaker is in hormonal season I have to limit shoulder time because the closeness tends to encourage him.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
The first one sounds like excitement, the second sounds just like what my male Quaker Tony does when he's being hormonal.
When he acts like that I avoid eye contact as it seems to prolong it.

One second thought, the first behavior could be her regurgitating or trying to anyways.
When my Quaker is in hormonal season I have to limit shoulder time because the closeness tends to encourage him.
I see! Maybe my she is a he!
I'll keep an eye out for regurgitation. Her mouth is usually closed but she does just seem to be excited.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I see! Maybe my she is a he!
I'll keep an eye out for regurgitation. Her mouth is usually closed but she does just seem to be excited.
I've never owned a female Quaker, maybe they do this too? Maybe someone who owns a female can chime in!

Most Reactions