Strange behaviour

Lello

Feb 6, 2024
Parrots
Macaw
2 weeks ago I took on a 14 year old presumed male B&G Mac. I do not know much about his background besides that he was rescued from a abused situation. He does this thing where he makes a clicking sound then mock bites his leg and scream. There does not seem to be any trigger for this but it...

Attachments

• 20240209_163259.mp4
    3 MB

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Wow that is crazy. Silly as heck.

I think Blue and Golds are so smart and need to keep themselves occupied will come up with games with whatever is on hand. I think he is just playing.

Max loves to mock bite us and sometimes really bite and give a scream similar to yours, but maybe a little more "i'm a big scary monster and I just scared you" kind of sound.
You can see in his eyes how excited Max gets by it.

Man they are a handful.
Thanks for rescuing him!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I agree, this looks more like some kind of play (crazy as it might seem) rather then a medical or pain related action. Macaws are known to do the Big Scary Bird thing to get a rise out of people - yeah they are that smart. Kind of like "BOO!" - I gotcha!

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
My macaw does the same thing. He argues with his leg! Actually both of them!
And yes! He loves the reaction he gets when he does it! Always unexpected and loud!
Funny!!!

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
Also, forgot to mention.
If it helps he does this more when we are playing and spending time together.

OP
Lello

Lello

Feb 6, 2024
Parrots
Macaw
Also, forgot to mention.
If it helps he does this more when we are playing and spending time together.
I think Jake does this out of frustration over excitement and the unknown. After 4 weeks with me he is doing it less and less 😁 at least now when he does this I know sort of why

OP
Lello

Lello

Feb 6, 2024
Parrots
Macaw

I think Blue and Golds are so smart and need to keep themselves occupied will come up with games with whatever is on hand. I think he is just playing.

Max loves to mock bite us and sometimes really bite and give a scream similar to yours, but maybe a little more "i'm a big scary monster and I just scared you" kind of sound.

Man they are a handful.
Hi yes I think it's a combination of frustration, the unknown
and look at me I'm going to scare you just because i can. As he is settling in, after 4 weeks this is happening less and less.

OP
Lello

Lello

Feb 6, 2024
Parrots
Macaw
I agree, this looks more like some kind of play (crazy as it might seem) rather then a medical or pain related action. Macaws are known to do the Big Scary Bird thing to get a rise out of people - yeah they are that smart. Kind of like "BOO!" - I gotcha!
Definitely not medical. 4 weeks in and it's happening less and less. He does not do this when he is on his own ( I have a camera on him when I'm not there to monitor his behaviour) it's definitely more an over excited behaviour as well as I am going to scare you off. If my husband gets too close to him or to me he will do it non stop.

OP
Lello

Lello

Feb 6, 2024
Parrots
Macaw

Man they are a handful.
I think I have figured it out that this is more of a frustration and I'm going to scare you reaction. After 4 weeks he is hardly doing this around me but if my poor husband is anywhere near me or him he will do this non stop. Husband is walking circles around him ...haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts