Strange bump on IRN's forehead..?

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
3 year old indian ringneck
heyy its been quite a while since i last posted a thread on here, me and roy have been getting closer and closer very nicely!
But now im getting quite a bit concerned about this weird grayish bump on his forehead, should i be concerned and take him to an avian vet? I am genuinely curious about what caused it my other family members say that it might be a bacterial infection and i should avoid cuddling with him as it may be contagious..
Although the real question is, is that true and should i be concerned?
Thanks ill include an attachment of the bump
Thanks i wish you and your bird the best!
5D5462BE-4382-4A1B-A5D3-227809BD6B29.jpeg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm so happy he's bonding with you :)

That does look like he should go to the vet.

My ringneck had a respiratory infection and had feather staining like that. He needed antibiotics and a strict cage cleaning routine for some time, but now he's healthy and happy.

Your Roy could have an infection, or a sinus issue, or a skin issue, or something else - but any time they don't look "normal" with nice bright green feathers above their nares or on their face I'd have a vet look at him.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree. It’s really hard to tell what’s going on. If it’s greyish it might be mucus drained out of his nares. Or maybe it could be food. I don’t see any marks on his beak or on the other side. ??

You could always try giving him a bath or toweling him and scrubbing the “stuff” out of his feathers with a wet cloth. If you feel he’s acting quite normally that’s an option. If you think he’s acting sick or sneezing or having trouble breathing then you should take him to the vet.

I’m glad he’s coming around and no, if he’s your indoor pet he’s not full of disease or bugs and is quite safe to be around.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
heyy its been quite a while since i last posted a thread on here, me and roy have been getting closer and closer very nicely!
But now im getting quite a bit concerned about this weird grayish bump on his forehead, should i be concerned and take him to an avian vet? I am genuinely curious about what caused it my other family members say that it might be a bacterial infection and i should avoid cuddling with him as it may be contagious..
Although the real question is, is that true and should i be concerned?
Thanks ill include an attachment of the bump
Thanks i wish you and your bird the best!
View attachment 47170
One of my budgies, Charlie, had a swollen pimple-like thing on his cere. A budgie's nostril area is a featherless cere but your bird's nostrils are in the area where this bump is, right? It turned out to be a localized infected cyst. Dr gently squeezed it (don't try this yourself) and pus came out. I watched, (yikes!) and it must have hurt, but Charlie was a really good sport about it. Dr prescribed antibiotics for a week and the infection cleared up quickly. If I hadn't brought Charlie in the infection could have spread to his brain! Moral of the story is take your birdie to an avian vet ASAP and he'll probably be fine.

Most Reactions

Latest posts