Strange Cockatoo Behavior

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Tiki, Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Cookie, Bare-Eyed Cockatoo
My Umbrella 'too Angel is sitting on the floor next to me, picking up bobby pins and tucking them into her back feathers. It's comical to watch, but I'm concerned. What does this mean?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
She's just playing, its nothing to worry about. In fact, this kind of "self entertaining" play should be encouraged, so she learns another positive way to keep her occupied and her brain going. Toos' are notorious for behavioral issues stemming from a need for attention, so the more positive/fun things you can teach her to do by herself, the better! Do keep an eye on her with the bobby pins though to make sure she doesn't accidentally eat one. Perhaps introduce something else she can play with that's more parrot-friendly. My dads goffin also does this little "game". He likes to take his peanuts or small wood beads and shove them under his wing pits, bounce them with his wings and roll them down his back. I think it may be a too' thing, because I've never seen any other species do it.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
My corella puts food under his wings LMAO
Unfortunately that includes mash and soft foods :(
He stinks. He stinks bad. LOL So he gets a daily bath. He seems to be in love with his wings.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Some cockatoos will use small toys as well. Some enjoy flipping the items off their feathers after placing them there.

I think someone once wondered if it was the birds way to take a "dust bath", since some birds have been known for bathing in fine sand or dirt. Some species (not parrots) will even take "ant baths" to get rid of parasites.

It sounds pretty "normal" as far as cockatoos go, but I don't know why they do it.

OP
Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Tiki, Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Cookie, Bare-Eyed Cockatoo
Thanks guys, ahaha. It's good to know that she's not going crazy in her older age!

Most Reactions

Latest posts