Stress bars on feathers

Apr 9, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Sydney - 8 year old rescue parrotlet. Missing 2 toes
Does anyone know how long it takes for stress bars to grow out? We just acquired a budgie a few days ago who was living alone, and I don’t actually know much about her. She’s in quarantine right now because our landlord just asked us to take her. She’s so sweet, so scared. We want to give her the best life possible. She seems terrified and depressed and so we are trying to make her trust us by keeping her in a quiet spot and hand feeding her millet so she trusts us. But she has very visible stress bars on her back feathers and I’m wondering how long she may have had those (how long it took for those to come in), and how long they’ll take to grow out? I want to make sure she lives a happy, stress-free life and it makes me sad that she’s showing visible signs of stress on her beautiful feathers :blue2::blue2:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Stress Bars occur, as their name implies, when a bird is under extended Stress. This can be emotional (behavioral) and/or health (diet) related. Commonly, when the Stress is vastly reduced during their next molt cycle they will replace those feathers.

Not sure what your poor bird had to face, but a safe environment and a major improvement in diet will help greatly. You may see an improvement in the appearance of the feathers, but the bars are set until the next molt.

I may be well warranted to have your new baby see an Avian Medical Professional as stress can open them to any number of illnesses. Commonly, this is referred to as a New Bird Examination and commonly includes a Full Spectrum Blood Test and gram stain testing as part of a good hands on physical examination.

Thank you for taking this bird in and welcome to parrot forum!

OP
bingewatchingmediacontent
Apr 9, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Sydney - 8 year old rescue parrotlet. Missing 2 toes
Thank you for your reply. That’s something we are planning ASAP. Do you think it’s a good idea to train a bird to step up and go into a carrier before their first vet visit, or to risk having them distrust you more by grabbing them and shoving them into a carrier for the first vet visit first? I’m debating this.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
They have to molt out. Can you share a picture?,
Often birds that eat seeds only are low in vitamins. Do nit add vitamins to water.
Budgies usually take to leafy greens quickly, especially if you hang the leaves up . They like the really green outer layers. Romaine actually has vitamin A amount other good stuff

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is no question that developing 'step-up' and entering a carrier helps maintain the bond.

We had always schedule the pick-up of the Parrot with an Avian Medical visit on route home. Not always possible, but...

We have found that with great luck all of our Amazons have been Road Warriors and love to travel. This helps greatly as they tend to load in the the carrier with easy.

They tend to be forgiving if you fuss-over them on the way home. Such a poor bird! I'm so happy we saved you from those terrible people, etc, etc. etc...

Most Reactions

Latest posts