Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
ok...I brought home a new bird, Sassy a goffins cockatoo. They are in quarantine at the moment, for about two more weeks. Amigo, (U2), is outside during the day, use to come in a few times during the day when he wanted but now that Sassy is here, I only bring him in at night..to his sleeping room. I hang outside with him lots during the day. I garden, go on walks and just sit with him on the deck, (extra time), so's he doesn't feel neglected.

He knows that there is a new bird in the house, (HIS house), and is not happy about this. I can tell he's stressed, he paces the railing to the deck and chews, (more than normal, which has been non-existent, until lately), the deck. I could lock him up but am afraid that might cause more problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not sure how to deal with this.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He will get over it eventually, but I know the stress is putting onto you....Allow him in but just keep Sassy as far away at the moment? It's not a simple task I know as Amigo can be very possessive and will not be nice to Sassy, actually dangerous towards her. But that's with any bird you bring home. You just have to keep them apart. I don't trust Java at all as he's already tried to attack other birds. I know you will get through with this, good luck!

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

Thanks Mikey, I'm so stressed about this, probably more than Amigo. I do bring him in, (only to his sleep bedroom), but because I keep Sassy in the living room, during the day, and Amigo's cage is also there, (he has two different cages),...I'm just waiting for quarantine to be over. Because of how much larger and more aggressive Amigo is, naturally... I would never allow them to interact out of a cage. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Amigo is stressed, because his routine has gone out the window... He might be more accepting of the new bird (Sassy), if his routine was maintained...

Sassy moved into your/Amigos house, and maybe quarantining her in another room, where Amigo doesn't go) would be possible and probably safer for her, in way of diseases? and then allowing Amigo to do what Amigo does...

Since Amigo is free flying, I think quarantine would need to be 'forever', unless Sassy can develop an immune system to fight whatever Amigo might pick up...

We normally quarantine a new bird, because we don't know where it's been, but in your case, Sassy has a bigger chance of catching something from Amigo, and he has from her... Amigos immune system would be GREAT.

As things are, I think you're wasting your time quarantining, since Sassy is already in the room where Amigos cage is.

Are you sure Amigo is going to be aggressive towards her?

Don't ever feel guilty for bringing in a new bird, just make sure Amigo comes first - always!

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

Thank you Lene, that does make a lot of sense. I've also been thinking along those lines but try to do what's best for the birds and under the circumstances, my thinking gets muddled. Thanks, again.

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
I wouldn't keep him out either. When he wants to come in you should maybe move Sassy to another room and allow him time to explore and check out what's going on. I would never want my bird to feel like he's on the outside looking in....30 days is a long time. It's not about who comes first or second..just like with children you love them all equally. I'm far from an experienced bird person. But I'm a mom for 22 years and when my kids exhibit jealousy, or frustration, or are having a problem it's my job to be flexible and give them what they need at the moment even if it breaks routine. As long as Amigo is reassured and you keep Sassy safe they will find a peaceful living for them and a happy middle for you. Keep confident that this cam work and Amigo will follow ur lead. You have done nothing wrong...it's like bringing home a new baby all the newness and the other kids get a little pissy. Amigo just wants to remind his Momma that he is really cute and special too! Hugs!

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
As are you. Charlie my wheaten terrier is my love!!! Imnot worried about how he will respond to the new baby of the house. He's around birds and cats and kids and doesn't mind anyone or anything. He loves other dogs and even chases my friends hamster around her house. I'm more worried that the bird will hurt him or drivehimcrazy. LoL. It's going to be an adventure.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Amigo is stressed, because his routine has gone out the window... He might be more accepting of the new bird (Sassy), if his routine was maintained...

Sassy moved into your/Amigos house, and maybe quarantining her in another room, where Amigo doesn't go) would be possible and probably safer for her, in way of diseases? and then allowing Amigo to do what Amigo does...

Since Amigo is free flying, I think quarantine would need to be 'forever', unless Sassy can develop an immune system to fight whatever Amigo might pick up...

We normally quarantine a new bird, because we don't know where it's been, but in your case, Sassy has a bigger chance of catching something from Amigo, and he has from her... Amigos immune system would be GREAT.

As things are, I think you're wasting your time quarantining, since Sassy is already in the room where Amigos cage is.

Are you sure Amigo is going to be aggressive towards her?

Don't ever feel guilty for bringing in a new bird, just make sure Amigo comes first - always!

This makes the most sense yet. I agree, I think you're wasting your time quarantining them since Amigo is more likely to bring something to Sassy, so unless you're planning on making this a permanent quarantine, it may be pointless.

I also think you letting Amigo in to investigate while Sassy is in another room is a great idea. He's probably just confused as to what is going on and wants answers, darn it! :D

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
One side note... cockatoos are really sensitive (no duh... right?) But, if you are nervous he will be nervous... no bird is more prone to mirroring it's owners anxiety than a cockatoo. It can take a while, and when I introduce new 'toos to the flock of cockatoos I always keep new bird caged and set it within sight but not invasively close to other flock members flights or cages.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I know how you feel MareMiller. But I do think Amigo wants to make sure that he is still your number one boy :). And , of course he is going to be curious.
As soon as I read this , the first thing that came to mind was Amigo is going to fall in love with her !! Nice his curiousity is over , I think he might try to court her , lol.
I hope you dont get jealous ! lololol.

I think he will be fine . Once the newness of it all is over , he will be back to his normal self. Chasing the electric guys away :)

Don't feel bad. I will be in your same shoes sometime this week , lolol.
Lets see if I can follow my own advice. lolol.

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

ok...I brought Amigo in while Sassy is in the back room cage. He flew to her living room cage, checked it out, got grossed out and proceeded to look for her. He could hear her in the back room. The only reason I would say that he "got grossed out" is, he's starting to remind me of a hawk, I know, weird. Amigo is becoming a force, outside. I swear, he is getting bigger, heavier, more intense. Still fine, with me, but not the bird he was when we started all this free flight business.

I will not trust Amigo with Sassy, no, I don't think that will happen.

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

Well you know best. Does free flight make them more aggressive, territorial?

You know what? I am not an expert by any means but I'm finding with Amigo that he has definitely grown up. I've always thought that he was territorial but he has taken it to new heights! He has gotten bigger, heavier, his feathers exude health, I know this sounds corny, but I can't explain it any other way.

He isn't MORE aggressive but still his same old aggressive, in a stronger body.

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
Sounds like The flying has made him more muscular. Just keep Sassy safe ...day by day little by little. He might not love love Love herrr everrr but he will eventually tolerate her. You know being with Sassy also will make Amigo seem even bigger. My husband told me today his parents are coming to visit....ughh! I could only dream of having Amigo here to swoop in to my Mother in Laws hairsprayed hair and I would pay extra for him to shriek and call at the top of his lungs and scare the bejesus out of her!!! LOL. Is it crazy that I daydream about that? I let my dog jump on her, but having Amigo swoop down on her from above well it just makes me laugh hard to imagine ;)

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Sounds like The flying has made him more muscular. Just keep Sassy safe ...day by day little by little. He might not love love Love herrr everrr but he will eventually tolerate her. You know being with Sassy also will make Amigo seem even bigger. My husband told me today his parents are coming to visit....ughh! I could only dream of having Amigo here to swoop in to my Mother in Laws hairsprayed hair and I would pay extra for him to shriek and call at the top of his lungs and scare the bejesus out of her!!! LOL. Is it crazy that I daydream about that? I let my dog jump on her, but having Amigo swoop down on her from above well it just makes me laugh hard to imagine ;)

I used to think the same about my ex mother in law , lololol.
But , she wasnt afraid of much , so I used to tell her we were about of alcohol and that would wipe her smurk right off her face , lolol.
:white1::white1::blue:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
So, Luvmytooo! What new love are you bringing home?!

Well..............the Hyacinth !!!!
Im in love with her and I haven't met her yet , lolol.
I'm going this week and if we get along , she's coming home that day :)
I'm so freakin out that I'm getting nothing down in the house , lol.

I'm feeling better about this , obviously. But it's a girl and I figure Yoshi won't be seeing her anytime soon because of quarantine , but I'm sure he will hear me saying "good girl" so he won't be jealous...or so I'm hoping..

I will keep her on her own floor , and I'm thinking of keeping her there because of the dust from the TOOs. Even though I has air filters and purifiers , I don't want to take a chance.
I will obviously post pictures , lolol
:white1::white1::blue:
Funny how everybody is getting another bird the same time .

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

I will not give up with Sassy and Amigo at least tolerating each other. That will be good. Sassy is such a sweetheart, the kids all love her. My oldest son is moving north to Seattle, part time, and wants to take her with him! She is feisty, a bit nippy, DEFINITELY Sassy, but soooo easy compared to Amigo. I told my son that he's gonna have to come back soon, just to visit Sassy, if for no other reason! He agreed.

Amigo is very muscular. His thighs are twice the size they were than when he first got here. His chest/breast? is plump like a chicken. I think back to when I first touched him, pet him, under his wings. All I could feel was ribs, bony skeletal stuff. He has filled out. He is no way fat. He's healthy, to the max.

Most Reactions

Latest posts