Sturdy not-too-small folding cage recs?

cep55

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Emmylou, BFA
Hi all,

I'm looking for a cage that will be larger than an actual travel cage, but reasonably easy to transport (ideally folding) for when I go to my parent's house or visit friends for a few days. An actual travel cage is a bit too small, but I'd love to find something I can easily pack in the car and set up, then take home with me... but reasonably sturdy and with the right bar spacing for an Amazon. I know the King's Cage's aluminum folding cage used to be a popular option, but it seems that they no longer make them. Ideally, I'd love to find something that's 24" x 24" (or even a little larger). If anyone has suggestions, I really appreciate them!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi all,

I'm looking for a cage that will be larger than an actual travel cage, but reasonably easy to transport (ideally folding) for when I go to my parent's house or visit friends for a few days. An actual travel cage is a bit too small, but I'd love to find something I can easily pack in the car and set up, then take home with me... but reasonably sturdy and with the right bar spacing for an Amazon. I know theKing's Cage's aluminum folding cage used to be a popular option, but it seems that they no longer make them. Ideally, I'd love to find something that's 24" x 24" (or even a little larger). If anyone has suggestions, I really appreciate them!
What is your "budget" for this cage?

OP
cep55

cep55

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Emmylou, BFA
What is your "budget" for this cage?
Good question, Donna! Iā€™m pretty flexibleā€”if itā€™s good quality and meets all my needs as far as portability and spaciousness, Iā€™ll consider it a long-term investment and will be willing to pay pretty much anything within reason.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Good question, Donna! Iā€™m pretty flexibleā€”if itā€™s good quality and meets all my needs as far as portability and spaciousness, Iā€™ll consider it a long-term investment and will be willing to pay pretty much anything within reason.
Are you willing to consider a strong cage that is held together by bolts and hex nuts? As in all four sides and the top and bottom are separate panels. Can be assembled or disassembled in about 20 minutes with nothing more than a wrench. The bottom has a slide out tray and a removable grate. All the panels can be stored in a closet or garage and assembled when needed. The cage comes with a stand with wheels (also can be disassembled for storage)
which doesn't need to be used if you can put the cage on a table top.

OP
cep55

cep55

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Emmylou, BFA
Are you willing to consider a strong cage that is held together by bolts and hex nuts? As in all four sides and the top and bottom are separate panels. Can be assembled or disassembled in about 20 minutes with nothing more than a wrench. The bottom has a slide out tray and a removable grate. All the panels can be stored in a closet or garage and assembled when needed. The cage comes with a stand with wheels (also can be disassembled for storage)
which doesn't need to be used if you can put the cage on a table top.
Yes, while Iā€™d prefer a folding cage, what Iā€™m looking for might not be available in that formatā€¦ in which case Iā€™d probably be open to a cage with relatively simple assemblyā€¦ do you have one to recommend, or available for sale?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yes, while Iā€™d prefer a folding cage, what Iā€™m looking for might not be available in that formatā€¦ in which case Iā€™d probably be open to a cage with relatively simple assemblyā€¦ do you have one to recommend, or available for sale?
I have several cages as I describe that I'm not using but I keep them just in case. However, I bought them on Amazon and they sell many cages that you can disassemble for transport or storage.
I have never seen one that folds up, at least not one suitable for an Amazon or similar bird. You should go onto Amazon's website and using the search function search for large bird cage. Most of not all cages sold on Amazon require assembly. The 32x22x32 (plus stand) size is very popular and would be perfect. Mine are 24x18x30 plus stand and are too small. Just browse their site and if you're okay with assembly you should be able to find one for less than $150. Bar spacing is about 5/8" but some may be wider.
Cages nowadays are almost all made in China by a handful of manufacturers and sold in the US with the sellers brand name but they're the same cage. My experiences have been that the quality is very good.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Wire dog crates are an easy option.

Most Reactions

Latest posts