Suggestions for a play stand

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I'm about to buy Nike a play stand for the living room. Nike is not a crazy youngster so she's not going to need multiple perches, she'll choose the highest and stay there. I can DIY anything and make it look like a piece of furniture but no PVC and even finished wood is difficult to clean so I'd prefer something where the only wood are the perches. I would love a java tree but as I said, those $400 worth of branches will just collect poop and not be used so that's out. I am not concerned about price.

I would even consider a nice looking cage with a play top as that would allow Nike to be locked up when having her on your shoulder is inconvenient.

Suggestions? And surely the item will have to be colored to my wife's liking but I haven't asked her about that yet ;)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Bill, can I suggest a play chain, using comm'l plastic chain? We have it attached to Salty's cage, run up to the ceiling for 6ft or so, with a round cloth hoop and perch wedged in the middle. It's his wet food feeding station, too. Screw eyes into ceiling joists make it totally safe. I hung one of those tremendous restaurant grade stainless bowls under the feeding station, to catch the food and poops. For us, it's a great set up. I hang toys from the chain too.

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Bill, can I suggest a play chain, using comm'l plastic chain? We have it attached to Salty's cage, run up to the ceiling for 6ft or so, with a round cloth hoop and perch wedged in the middle. It's his wet food feeding station, too. Screw eyes into ceiling joists make it totally safe. I hung one of those tremendous restaurant grade stainless bowls under the feeding station, to catch the food and poops. For us, it's a great set up. I hang toys from the chain too.
Thanks Al, my wife wouldn't be into the chain in the living room and I'm actually not sure Nike would be either.

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Thanks, I should have been more specific I guess. I'm a Google Master and can find plenty of stands but if you use something that fits my needs I'd like to see it.

I have a Mango perch but Nike get's bored with that so what she does like is having a wooden frame around the tray so she can tear into that when she gets bored. I usually just make a square frame out of furring strips and she totally destroys one side and I replace it.

Up until today she had an 18x36 area with 12x24 wood frame in the middle of it and a perch sitting on top of a dead fish tank which I finally removed. Now I need to replace that with something. I may end up just DIYing something though I'd prefer to buy.

Needless to say my wife is thrilled the tank is gone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts