Suggestions for Bird-Proofing an Area?

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
πŸŒ΄β˜€οΈFlorida, USAβ˜€οΈπŸŒ΄
Parrots
🌟 𝓒𝓽π“ͺπ“»π“΅π“²π“°π“±π“½γ€˜F Lutino Budgieγ€™πŸŒŸ
✈️ 𝙅π™ͺπ™£π™žπ™€π™§γ€˜M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakarikiγ€™βœˆοΈ
Kakarikis are extremely inquisitive and destructive parrots. I want ours to be able to have a nice fun environment, but without any dangers or hazards. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Sorry for the short post. If you have any questions and need clarification on anything, let me know.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for the concise easy to follow Thread.

We have long had Amazons with zero restrictions, allowing free-flight and walk-about life-style within our home. It is important to understand that it is an earned life-style as allowing any Parrot such a life style can be problematic.

Commonly, it starts with a Parrot that is self-entertaining with the extensive Parrot safe toys provided. Whether a flyer, a walker or both, your Parrot is recalled trained and will respond when asked. That also applies to Contact Calls as "where are you" become very important.

For a single 'Bird Room' doors become very important as they are very dangerous whether opening or closing. Being able to determine whether your Parrot is waiting for your arrival and is standing on the other side of that door is very important As stated above, cord and cables are a real no-no even for the Parrot that has never had an interest in them. One of the tools that can be used is to use the 'Baby Safe' guidelines. The only difference is that if your Parrot is a flyer, all levels of the room becomes more important from the very beginning as there is not the steps between a crawler, a walker and a climber.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I bought one of those ordinary door-liner thingies... where two-sided glue attaches a cushiony padding all around the frame. It was about 30 bucks and it REALLY MADE A DIFFERENCE! I didn't think it would, but it did, and I recommend it. Other than that I just padded and covered wall and floor surfaces as much as I could... wall hangings, rugs, low tech stuff... and it all worked together. And with a Patagonian Conure, every decibel counts. Good luck!

Edit:
I mis-read this as "sound-proofing"... gee, I wonder why!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Anything that is wood in a parrot room is fair game for them to chew it into splinters! So wood molding on doors and windows, shelves, ceiling lights, the doors themselves, etc!! Even walls themselves may be attacked; I've seen pictures where a parrot chewed right thru the sheetrock walls and was working on the wood studs behind the wall. Gail's suggestion of covering all walls with rugs or other heavy material might not be such a bad idea - you will just have to see what he likes to chew on.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
BOXES! When I used to freerange my birds, they would get into boxes and even had one cockatiel pair raise their first chick in one. I was clueless at the time about birds and learned not to let them into boxes any more!

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
πŸŒ΄β˜€οΈFlorida, USAβ˜€οΈπŸŒ΄
Parrots
🌟 𝓒𝓽π“ͺπ“»π“΅π“²π“°π“±π“½γ€˜F Lutino Budgieγ€™πŸŒŸ
✈️ 𝙅π™ͺπ™£π™žπ™€π™§γ€˜M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakarikiγ€™βœˆοΈ
Thanks for the concise easy to follow Thread.

We have long had Amazons with zero restrictions, allowing free-flight and walk-about life-style within our home. It is important to understand that it is an earned life-style as allowing any Parrot such a life style can be problematic.

Commonly, it starts with a Parrot that is self-entertaining with the extensive Parrot safe toys provided. Whether a flyer, a walker or both, your Parrot is recalled trained and will respond when asked. That also applies to Contact Calls as "where are you" become very important.

For a single 'Bird Room' doors become very important as they are very dangerous whether opening or closing. Being able to determine whether your Parrot is waiting for your arrival and is standing on the other side of that door is very important As stated above, cord and cables are a real no-no even for the Parrot that has never had an interest in them. One of the tools that can be used is to use the 'Baby Safe' guidelines. The only difference is that if your Parrot is a flyer, all levels of the room becomes more important from the very beginning as there is not the steps between a crawler, a walker and a climber.

No problem, lol, my brain is so fried right now.

I think you've definitely made a very good point here. It can be very problematic if they are not obedient. Trying to stop the biting issue we're having with him. Otherwise, he's good. He calls to us and we call + respond to each other. He lets us know when he's ready to hang out with us. I definitely want to get him more hand-tamed with us first.

He really chews on just about everything he can get his beak on, and unfortunately it's been pretty unpredictable just what kind of stuff he's going to destroy next.

Most Reactions

Latest posts