OP
M

Mauwh

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
1 female sun conure named Sunny
Here's a better look at what the wound currently looks like
20230127_150556.jpg

There isn't any drainage or leaking around the scab and all appears normal (to my untrained eyes at least). Our vet is closed on the weekends and only available for existing patients and emergencies on Mondays (meaning we may well have to wait until Tuesday..), but we should at least have a proper carrier for her by then. I suppose it's really just a matter of keeping a close eye on her until then.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
You don’t need a bird carrier for a small bird - you can use a cat carrier and punch a hole through one side to stick a perch. I’ve done it before we got Pak-O Birds/backpacks. The plastic sided ones are fine. They shouldn’t be in them long enough to chew a hole.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Oh also - its not an infected wound we are necessarily worrying about. We are concerned the bacteria will enter the blood stream, where it can rapidly multiply due to a bird’s higher resting body temp, causing the bird to go septic. This will make them go from completely fine to dead within hours. The only way to prevent it is aggressive, often injected antibiotics introduced early on before the pasteurella multicida has a chance to multiply.

It can take several days for this reaction to occur, and once it is happening it is too late to do anything about it. I sincerely hope your little guy stays OK, and that you can find a way to protect them from this risk in the future!

OP
M

Mauwh

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
Oh also - its not an infected wound we are necessarily worrying about. We are concerned the bacteria will enter the blood stream, where it can rapidly multiply due to a bird’s higher resting body temp, causing the bird to go septic. This will make them go from completely fine to dead within hours. The only way to prevent it is aggressive, often injected antibiotics introduced early on before the pasteurella multicida has a chance to multiply.
Thank you for the explanation. One of the scarier parts is definitely the uncertainty of how spontaneously the situation could possibly evolve. My mom just left town for the weekend anyway, despite the rather poor timing, while I have no means of transportation myself. I'll forward the information to her as usual, though..
You can also carry him in a cardboard box.
I'm surprised we didn't consider this. We order online a lot, so there's plenty of boxes that could potentially work.
you can use a cat carrier and punch a hole through one side to stick a perch. I’ve done it before we got Pak-O Birds/backpacks. The plastic sided ones are fine. They shouldn’t be in them long enough to chew a hole.
We did try using a cat carrier a few times. She didn't want anything to do with it, despite our attempts to ease her towards it with treats. She'd always fly back to her cage when she decided she was too close for comfort, but I think she might be able to get somewhat used to the idea if we keep working with her on it.
I was also a little worried about the possibility of her sliding into the sides without a perch, even with some dish towels as "carpeting," but your idea addresses that as well :p

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for the explanation. One of the scarier parts is definitely the uncertainty of how spontaneously the situation could possibly evolve. My mom just left town for the weekend anyway, despite the rather poor timing, while I have no means of transportation myself. I'll forward the information to her as usual, though..

I'm surprised we didn't consider this. We order online a lot, so there's plenty of boxes that could potentially work.

We did try using a cat carrier a few times. She didn't want anything to do with it, despite our attempts to ease her towards it with treats. She'd always fly back to her cage when she decided she was too close for comfort, but I think she might be able to get somewhat used to the idea if we keep working with her on it.
I was also a little worried about the possibility of her sliding into the sides without a perch, even with some dish towels as "carpeting," but your idea addresses that as well :p
Pick the bird up with a towel and put her in the box.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Here's a better look at what the wound currently looks like
20230127_150556.jpg

There isn't any drainage or leaking around the scab and all appears normal (to my untrained eyes at least). Our vet is closed on the weekends and only available for existing patients and emergencies on Mondays (meaning we may well have to wait until Tuesday..), but we should at least have a proper carrier for her by then. I suppose it's really just a matter of keeping a close eye on her until then.
I would try to call again emphasizing or even exaggerating if need to that it is actually an emergency and told them you are very worry as birds are so tiny and fragile and every minute counts to save their lives.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)

Another way is to have him perched on your fingers away from drafts preferably sit at the back seat while your mom driving. Hold him gently wrap your hands around his body and slowly put him into the cardboard box (make sure to punch holes!) before you take him into the vet's office.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Yeah, I know it sounds mean, but in emergencies sometimes you gotta be the meanie and towel them for their own safety. They will forgive you eventually, just handle them gently.

OP
M

Mauwh

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
Yeah, I know it sounds mean, but in emergencies sometimes you gotta be the meanie and towel them for their own safety. They will forgive you eventually, just handle them gently.
Yeah. I suppose I was hesitant to do that, but you're definitely right. Being a little stressed now is a lot better than being very dead later :(
I'm going to try contacting an emergency vet and ask if a payment plan is possible if it becomes too expensive.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
If you are in the US, ask about Care Credit.

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
Hi, I'm new to the forums so I'm not sure if there was a better place to ask for advice about this. I have a female sun conure, about 10 years old, and quite a few cats (6). One in particular has an issue with jumping and settling on top our conure's cage. It seems that recently he even took a swipe at her and hooked a claw near the top of her head. Fortunately it wasn't as bad as it could've been, but is naturally still a very concerning incident.
What can be do to help my bird heal and prevent infection? How can we prevent our cat from jumping on top of our bird's cage and/or swiping in the future?

If you look at pictures of my bird, he almost lost an eye from a cat attack. My mom had me take care of her cats back in 1999, and they would sometimes get into my bedroom and throw paws/claws at the bird. one got his eye lid and there is a small slit/split now that is there for good in the round eyelid.. My bird got SO lucky. No advice to give on this one. it looks like its scabbed up...

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
Hi have you thought about a bird cover that you can put on. cover part on and part off on cage to keep cat from playing with bird and give sun conure a safe part to be when she doesn't want to social as i have cats and bird and i found that work to keep my cats from bothered parrot

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
How’s your Sun today? Hope it was an uneventful weekend for you.

OP
M

Mauwh

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
How’s your Sun today? Hope it was an uneventful weekend for you.
She's still doing fine as of now. My mom suggests that she may have accidentally scratched herself. Her claws are getting somewhat long, and it would also possibly explain why the scratch appears to have been a single small puncture, rather than any bad swipe marks. In any case, getting her in for a routine checkup when we can wouldn't be a bad idea, if not to at least get a little trimming done.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts