LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I don't know about any of you, but I do sometimes find myself being sucked into the vortex which is that well-known home video publishing website. There's a lot of rubbish on there to be sure, but I can spend inordinate amounts of time watching all the extremely cute birdie videos too!

This little guy is called a "silvereye", or a "white-eye" depending on which part of Australasia or the Pacific Islands you might live in. Exactly how this one ended up seemingly becoming a household pet I have no idea, but I know "cute" when I'm looking at it and I'm looking at it right now. Enjoy!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh and then there's this precious darling little hummingbird, clearly worn out and taking a well deserved snooze after all that ultra-high-speed flapping!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't know about any of you, but I do sometimes find myself being sucked into the vortex which is that well-known home video publishing website. There's a lot of rubbish on there to be sure, but I can spend inordinate amounts of time watching all the extremely cute birdie videos too!

This little guy is called a "silvereye", or a "white-eye" depending on which part of Australasia or the Pacific Islands you might live in. Exactly how this one ended up seemingly becoming a household pet I have no idea, but I know "cute" when I'm looking at it and I'm looking at it right now. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/oprvJb8G_1k
I have seen this one! I love it! Humane can dispense so much good loving !!! I want a q-tip massage!!!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
So precious! I've seen the first video and adore it and his feather pattern makes it appear like he's sitting in an eggshell. A chick that has just hatched. :D

I haven't seen the Hummingbird, too darn cute! :heart:

Last edited:
OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
You’re right about the silvereye looking like he’s sitting in an eggshell Tami. My hubby wants a pet one too now!

Please feel free to link up your favourite cute birdie video, it would be nice to have a whole string of them to bring a smile :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
This is "Chook" the superb (oh yeah he’s superb alright, just ask him!) lyrebird from Adelaide Zoo. Lyrebirds are fantastic mimics both in the wild and in captivity and this guy can be heard imitating everything from stone curlews, magpies, whipbirds, rainbow lorikeets and kookaburras to camera shutters and car engines turning over. At one stage there was major construction work going on at the zoo where a new enclosure was being built beside his and he then introduced power tools and human speech into his repertoire. It seems to me they're much more enthusiastic about mimicking the sounds they hear around them than making their own natural call!

And here's some more, because too much Chook is barely enough :) (I even heard him saying "Chook Chook"!)

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Lyrebirds are truly amazing, aren't they?

Many years ago, I went with the Hunter Bird Observer's Group on a bushwalk in Jerusalem Creek National Park. We had two State Foresters with us as guides and they explained how the area had once been heavily logged for Australian Red Cedar (which was now, sadly, all gone! :( ). While the old-time timber-getters were in the bush, they used huge cross-cut saws with inch-long teeth (on the saws, not the timber-getters). Apparently, these made a unique sound which the lyrebirds in the area learned to mimic.

Well! Fast forward a hundred years or so. The cedar and the timber-getters are all gone, but the Jerusalem Creek lyrebirds still make the sound of the old-time handsaws. It has been passed down through umpteen generations and we heard it during our walk in the national park that day. My grandparents were timber-getters in the Dungog region of NSW, so it felt like a special treat to be able to hear a sound that they would have heard every single day. :)

Despite all this, I think the lyrebird's version of a camera shutter is the most amazing sound it makes. How on *earth* does an unassuming chook-sized bird make a purely mechanical sound come out of its throat like that??? Beats me! :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Unfortunately I’ve never had the privilege of hearing a lyrebird in the wild - well not that I know of! Maybe I did, but they’re so good at mimicking other species that I’d never really know for sure.

There’s a long-standing myth about a lyrebird chick being raised in a household in the highlands of New England many years ago, where a boy in the home was taking flute lessons. Legend has it that the bird once released into the wild passed on his mimicry of the flute to his progeny and it was learned by future generations thus resulting in the local population becoming known for their “flute” dialect. I don’t know if the myth is true but it’d be lovely if it is :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Stumbled across this little guy from Japan, singing to his heart's content :)

My Japanese is "amari yokunai" (not very good!) but he's still Super Kawaii (super cute!) anyways.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I know I banged on about fairy-wrens in another thread, but I just found this one too :)

SO cute there ought to be a law against it!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Such laws are clearly broken before there is a chance to set them... :D

What a little group, staying close for warmth, companionship, and shared feather care. That is clearly one of those moments that even the coffee sits while watching...

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Roving gangs of disaffected teenage corellas have been spotted wreaking havoc across Brisbane's northern suburbs of late! We caught this flock of at least 1 million birds (we are lousy judges of flock size!) wantonly vandalising a local sporting field.

And if there's one thing they love more than digging up someone's carefully manicured football pitch, it's a good fight!!

Maybe not a super cute bird video, but certainly a super NAUGHTY bird video :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
How lovely! A whopping great flock of Rosettas! I reckon there's between three hundred and three hundred and fifty birds present on the footy field. They probably belong to a much larger parent flock which they would join of an evening and roost with communally in local trees. We used to get flocks of two thousand or more mixed white cockies a few years ago, but now we only see a hundred or so at a time. I think the easing of the drought has taken them back west where they really belong.

Corellas are best viewed when they are hanging out on power lines or TV antennae. It's there you get to see them at their clownish and acrobatic best, swinging upside-down and yahooing about in groups. I reckon corellas are the funniest of all the parrots, yet few people ever comment about their antics. :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
We were fortunate enough to stumble across them while out on a grocery shop last week, there were hundreds in the tall gum trees surrounding the oval and they all floated down to have a good old dig at the grass. It seemed a few of them may have had some minor grievances with each other because everywhere we looked there were scores being settled. Some appeared to be play-wrestling but there were a few fights that seemed pretty serious!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Spectacular video, Martina. I'm dying to be amongst a flock of wild cockies.

Gabby watching with rapt attention:
aJBy3Eq.jpg

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Be very careful about exposing Gabby to subversive videos like this Scott, you don’t want this sort of lousy behaviour rubbing off!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Be very careful about exposing Gabby to subversive videos like this Scott, you don’t want this sort of lousy behaviour rubbing off!

Funny, they do enjoy foraging on the floor. Now I know why they take a pellet, bite a chunk, drop to ground.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
The "Little" Lorikeet is the only Australian lorikeet that is even smaller than my Lilly. I shot the following short video at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary yesterday of this very cute pair getting friendly with each other - not too friendly however so no need to get the kiddies to leave the room :)

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I wanna see any Parvopsitta species... especially PCL:D

Do you remember when I said "I wanna a PCL"? I read this species was bred in Europe only once time:( I can say "Good bye" before I said "hello" to them:( (unless I will be in Australia...)

Most Reactions