Surprise egg!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
PHOEBE laid an egg last night!!!! Fell through the grate and cracked!

I have to find her Hatch certificate, but May will be her 1 year hatch anniversary i think.

She had recently started to self stimulate....

Wow!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Always a surprise, hopefully the first and last outside of a breeding arrangement!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Uuummmmmmmmm.............congratulations??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
You have my congratulations and my sympathy :). May her egg laying be short and uneventful!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She just laid her second egg! I heard hit the cage bottom.

Stay healthy and strong Phoebe!
I rolled her cage outdoor for sunshine vit D therapy early today. She has cuttlebone, and I fed boiled egg shells, broccoli, and cooked squash, and chili peppers

Here is her baby pic
They grow up so fast!
laurasea-albums-phoebe-picture22905-20201010-151128.jpg

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Where there's one there's often a second. Hoping there's not a third! :smile046: :eek:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Me thinks she may be the Easter Bunny in disguise.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well things weren't normal after all. The first day I found the yolk and cap to a shell. I thought she ate the rest of the shell....Today I have the rest of the egg no cap no yolk!!!!

We are so lucky she handled this and passed the broken shell.......

My mom today asked if I was going to try and Hatch the egg, bless her she is elderly. She knows i have all females. I guess it would be neat if parrots were like the following amazing creatures than can reproduce without a male.n

The boa constrictor, monitor lizard and Komodo dragon are both capable of becoming pregnant without male fertilization, by parthenogenesis. This form of reproduction is not the preferred method and has evolutionary disadvantages for the species, as it constitutes a form of inbreeding that reduces genetic diversity.
https://animals.mom.com › animals-...
Animals That Don't Have a Male for Reproduction | Animals.mom.com

Well mom, looks like Parthenogenesis( just learned the term!) is possible!! Though extremely extremely extremely rare.
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/ans-tparth/index.html

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
that is scary- you are super lucky that she passed it intact. That is like my worst nightmare when Noodles has been with egg. Dang woman, when are you going to catch a break with all of this! I guess that was the break, but come on karma, Laura needs a few months of perfect health and behavior after all of this!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Based on my very recent egg laying adventure with Tee.....I hope it’s okay if I make a recommendation.

I found it really useful to make a note (date/approx time) when Tee passed each egg and any of my random observations about her behavior/eating habits while she was in egg-laying mode. It was very helpful for the vet when we were evaluating if something is hung up or worrisome and she needed to go in. They don’t all lay eggs on the “standard schedule”. It has been really useful for me to learn what is normal for Tee since my vet is 2 hours away and I need to know in advance when to panic lol. Next year we are getting Lupron shots BEFORE spring hits :)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
thanks. I'm paying attention, she had behavior, I thought was just puberty....not full on broody! I'm very nervous, abd watching her. Abd contact my vet.

Lordy I do not want this to become a thing!
Yiu should share Tee story. She definitely has one to tell!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Well things weren't normal after all. The first day I found the yolk and cap to a shell. I thought she ate the rest of the shell....Today I have the rest of the egg no cap no yolk!!!!

We are so lucky she handled this and passed the broken shell.......

My mom today asked if I was going to try and Hatch the egg, bless her she is elderly. She knows i have all females. I guess it would be neat if parrots were like the following amazing creatures than can reproduce without a male.n

The boa constrictor, monitor lizard and Komodo dragon are both capable of becoming pregnant without male fertilization, by parthenogenesis. This form of reproduction is not the preferred method and has evolutionary disadvantages for the species, as it constitutes a form of inbreeding that reduces genetic diversity.
https://animals.mom.com › animals-...
Animals That Don't Have a Male for Reproduction | Animals.mom.com

Well mom, looks like Parthenogenesis( just learned the term!) is possible!! Though extremely extremely extremely rare.
ParthIndex.html

Turkeys do it in times of stress but generally the chicks are sickly and weak in comparison

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
But the fact that this is possible is amazing @ crazy, wonderful, strange world

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm still waiting fir her next egg. I can feel it.
Getting stressed.
Poops normal. She is eating , acting fine.....
Ugh.....come onb
egg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I do not envy you there sister--- when I say Noodles laying eggs stresses me out, I mean it! Good luck. Drink some wine if you have a designated driver (just in case lol!)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its so stressful,
I just got off phone with vet.
Because she is not straining. Her vent is clean and normal. She is eating, tho less than normal, is active. Poops are completely formed and normal. We are waiting till morning to see if action is needed. Please let her lay the egg tonight!!! Please please!!!@

Most Reactions